Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my right rear brakes starting grinding yesterday.
So i ran to autozone bought some cheap new rotors and pads, cause i didnt care.

So i went home and went to work.

Easy as cake, I took it apart, put the rotor on, put the new pads on then got to the caliper.
I had no idea that the rear calipers couldnt be compressed with a c clamp.
i was getting pissed cause it didnt move, so i came in went to the comp, and bingo i learned something new.

You need a special tool to get it done, it goes in the 2 slots in the piston and it spins it.
pretty gay, but now i have to wait till i go to work to buy the tool and come home tonight and finsih it. Just wanted everyone else to know how to do it cause i had no idea till i did it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You can compress the rear caliper by using a big needle nose pliers.
It's not really easy, but it's better than buying a new tool, if you don't happen to have the money to buy a tool that only serves one fucntion. Open the needle nose about half way, put a tip on each little groove in the calliper and twist clockwise, it takes for ever but it'll work eventually.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Charles you did not know about this !!! I am suprised. Nissan's have the screw in calipers on the front of their cars

·
Registered
567 Posts
yea..I hate changing the rears.

The tool is only like $10 though. Even with it it's a pain.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'd save the $10, it's not that hard to do with a pliers

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
BlueDonkey said:
my dad and I took an old socket and ground it to fit :mrgreen:
Alright American Ingenuity at work. I made a tool that attaches to a Makita (Have to use a strong battery)!!!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just bought the tool , i work at sears for christs sake. lol.
it was cheap enough i got it for 8 bucks after all my discounts. :)
Corey, I knew about it, we somewhat learned it in ase certification class, but nothing indepth and like all schooling, (it was only a 8 hour course) i tend to forget it all. So I just didnt even think about it when i was installing my brakes.
Silly me.

As for needle nose , i tried it, they suck. I got it to turn like a half of a turn and they just kept slipping off so i said **** it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have only had to put on one set of rear brake pads, and the guy caught it when he was installing the ring and pinion gears in my 94, so I let him do it, he did tell me about needing the special tool, but I haven't gotten one yet. I figure I will when I get around to doing the brakes on the GT.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Note: Convertables do tend to be tough on rear brake pads, its got to do with a new federally mandated safety feature, you have to pull the handbrake up to put the top up or down, its so easy to drive off with that thing still up an inch or two, fries those pads nicely. whoops :oops:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
You need a special tool to get it done, it goes in the 2 slots in the piston and it spins it.
pretty gay, but now i have to wait till i go to work to buy the tool and come home tonight and finsih it. Just wanted everyone else to know how to do it cause i had no idea till i did it.
You need a special tool to do anything now. We had to go rent a wrench to that the clutch fan off my dads F150.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Ford, also GM, Mopar, and yes the foreign companies too, do that to encourage us to bring our cars back to them to get them repaired, HA, fat chance of that!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dom said:
We just rented the tool for 30 bucks at AutoZone and they gave us our money back. :D
screw that i buy everything.

I bought a craftsman professional 42" wide box at work. :) i need **** to put in it. Actually i basically got it filled pretty well now at work.

I need to buy another huge box for home.
I got 10 times the amount of tools at home between my dad and I but he basically gave me everything. He used to be a mechanic years ago at his friends garage when he was in college. Then one day his friend had to leave for legal issues and he told my dad to take whatever he wanted.

To bad i was only like 6 when that happend, i woulda taken EVERYTHING! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts