Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am a new member now, and would just like to know where i can go, beside the dealer, to get parts to overhaul my engine. i just want to give it new life, nothing fancy, just rings and bearings, plus all gaskets and head bolts.. :uhh:
by the way, it is a 96 GT 4.6 SOHC, but i am sure you figured that out. :p:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Swap the heads and cams while ya got it apart! the P.I. swap will do wonders for ya :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure if i want to put that kind of money into it though. its got 162k miles on it, burns oil, i have done valve seals around 10k miles ago, but it is time for rings. the head swap kit is roughly a grand and i dont want to invest too much money into it, i'd rather buy a newer one versus dumping money into mine. after all, it is a 96, and had the worst engine that ford ever made for this year range, 96-98 non pi heads. i figure just give it new life, so it will last me a few more years, i dont run it at all, but i occasionally get on it, has good power, but i dont want to put too much money into it. but thanks for the info.... any more ideas? :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
are you going to do the work yourself? if not the labor alone will cost more than getting a used PI engine and installing it. That way you get to keep the good looks of the 96-98's and stay even with the new edge stangs. Believe me, sleepers are very cool

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i am a technician by trade :D , so to answer your question, yes i will do the work myself. :eek: i have looked into the head swap before, but the downfall to that is running premium fuel, and the way gas prices are nowadays, its not practical. i would like to put a 99+ engine in, but not sure on all the parts i will need, i.e.; processor, coils, harnesses, maf, and so forth. i did find a long block for like 900, but that was it, just a long block. as is now, i can hang with the newer stangs, and even beat a few, i have 3.73 gears, bassani o/r x pipe, flows, k&n, no silencer, 17" enki's, mach 1 tail pipes, (not that it makes power, but looks nice) and the newest fomoco platinum plugs. it runs nice, just burns oil. if i use regular 5w30, i burn a quart every 1k miles :bad: , if i use high mileage oil, i burn 1 quart every 2k miles. :good:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just get some used heads from a 99+ GT. that will get you around 40 hp and it shouldn't cost too much, especially if you install them yourself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
a 99+ engine will drop right in if you use your timing cover and accessories. Keep your puter and fuel system and jusy transfer over the old harness to the new engine. it is a pretty easy swap. If you have any ?'s just ask. I only paid $1900 for an 03 engine with 5k on it, cheaper deals are out there if you search, try http://www.car-part.com

·
Registered
529 Posts
If I were doing a swap, I'd be right there for ya!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got a buddy who knows a buddy at an auto salvage place, they gonna look into finding me a complete engine.. i will let you know if i get one and what happens. happy to be a new member, didnt think i would get any response what-so-ever.. now if i can only get my dog to listen to me !! :disgust:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts