Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I am driving I randomly overheat occasionally plus when my thermostat is open I have heat but when my thermostat is closed I have no heat any ideas?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Temperature sensor needs to be replaced is what i would think.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
I'd probably drop in a new tstat when you replace your temp sensor. Have you had any work on your heater core or the hoses going to it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it's a temp sensor because I am actually overheating

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 AM ----------

plus I already replaced the thermostat and a radiator flush

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
I don't think it's a temp sensor because I am actually overheating

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 AM ----------

plus I already replaced the thermostat and a radiator flush
The temp sensed by the ECU could be off keeping the electric fan from coming on when its supposed to. Also, is your electric fan working okay?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
did you burb the system...because i swear on here 95% of the overheating issues turn out to be air in the system

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
You HAVE to bleed the air out of the system by removing the vent plug. ALSO- You have to drill the relief hole in the new thermostat before installing, and it goes in with the hole on top at twelve o'clock.
LINK:
180 Degree Thermostat in a 3.8L V6 Mustang
IMO, putting a 180 stat in your car doesn't make it run cooler. You engine oil needs to be at least 180 degF to flow and protect properly. Depending where you live, your engine temp will still get to 190-200 range anyway because that is what the system was designed to run. Your heater will just blow cool air in the winter. Your exhaust will rust out because the exhaust will not be hot enough to burn off any condensate that forms inside. If you really want to improve your cooling, get a larger radiator so you have more surface area to exchange the heat away from the coolant.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
IMO, putting a 180 stat in your car doesn't make it run cooler. You engine oil needs to be at least 180 degF to flow and protect properly. Depending where you live, your engine temp will still get to 190-200 range anyway because that is what the system was designed to run. Your heater will just blow cool air in the winter. Your exhaust will rust out because the exhaust will not be hot enough to burn off any condensate that forms inside. If you really want to improve your cooling, get a larger radiator so you have more surface area to exchange the heat away from the coolant.
My engine is modified, and tuned. I understand how an engine cooling system works.
180 degree thermostat is irrelevant, it could be a 191 degree stat!
-The article was to point out that
1)How to bleed air out of system properly
2)A relirf hole needs to be drilled in the new thermostat to operate properly.
That's All!

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
My engine is modified, and tuned. I understand how an engine cooling system works.
180 degree thermostat is irrelevant, it could be a 191 degree stat!
-The article was to point out that
1)How to bleed air out of system properly
2)A relirf hole needs to be drilled in the new thermostat to operate properly.
That's All!
You might have mentioned that in your original post in regard to the liked information. :good:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts