Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got some mac lt headers and a mac lt catted h-pipe and have some questions. The guy a local muffler shop said 1. I wouldn't pass emmisions going from 4 to 2 cats (here in TN), 2. The oxygen sensors in the h-pipe would detect more oxygen and therefore add more fuel and make it run rich, 3. The cats on the h-pipe would only last about a year before they would be no good at all (the headers and h-pipe are used but he said he sold the same cats and they only last about a year)

I need to know if he is wrong... and if i install the headers, h-pipe and mufflers (with tailpipes of course, that i am getting a muffler shop to put on), would my car run right or rich or something else.
If he is right, i know there must be a way to make it right considering all the people who go to o/r and performance pipes even in emissions states.
Please help..and thanks

btw: i know i asked this to you guys who were at the meet but i figured i might as well get more thoughts b/c i think i put more info here...thanks

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
you'll be fine. the first two cats are just pre-cats and do minor work. As long as you have the two main cats, you're fine.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks...also will they last for a long time or are they just like short time-period cats and will my engine run rich...i'm not exactly sure how oxygen sensors work so a little explanation would be very :cool:
thanks again

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
If your engine runs rich it will throw gas in the converter and clog them. That's probally what he means by all that.

The O2 sensor reads if the exhaust is either rich or lean and the computer adjusts accordingly to make the perfect mix for the engine.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
keep the stock cats and cat pipe in general.... it will only result in loss of low end and a horrid sounding car.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i cant keep the stock pipe with lt headers, is there a way i could have all four of my stock cats after the lt's and not use the h...in other words could i just take off my stock piping completely, cut off four cats, add a little bit of tubing between them, put on my lt headers, then weld on the cats, then the mufflers and tailpipes? I need suggestions that will get me my stuff on but keep me emissions legal and not running rich..
thanks

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
SpectorV said:
keep the stock cats and cat pipe in general.... it will only result in loss of low end and a horrid sounding car.
lol do you read the posts? He has a catted h pipe and longtube headers he wants to put on

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
You should not run rich with the two cats that are on the H pipe

Those cats should be fine, hundreds of people use the same h pipe you have without any problems

I don't see your car running rich because of it

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
very :cool: , thanks
ill be getting that stuff put on soon b/c of Christmas money :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts