Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lright guys , need a little assistance. So in a nutshell I’ve had the original upstream sensors on the car since I’ve had it 4 years ago at 37k (pretty certain they were the same from factory) and around 106k they decided to finally go out on me (probably due to the position they were in and that I switched to E85 ). I’ve had bungs welded in at a higher location(they are slightly further down than the original location)to combat them from fouling from E85 again or atleast lessen the chance from the fouling again . I’ve since put in new sensors obviously. However , on my LCD screen my AFR is stuck on 14.0. I went and did a data log and seen that my measured AFR bank 1 is not reading anything at all . On the contrary , the bank 2 sensor is reading perfectly fine . I swapped o2 sensors to see if the problem would “follow “ a possible faulty o2 but , it remained the same. The code thrown to me because of this issue was a “p0132” ( Bank 1 Sensor 1 High Voltage …etc) . Other actions I have took to try and resolve this issue was : checking for frayed or damaged wires in the harness, replaced the sensor (assuming it just ruled to be a dud) , and unhooked my battery for 10+ minutes . However , as far drivability, the car drives fine for the most part . It idles fine and all. However , I’m looking to see if any of you guys have stumbled across a similar situation and looking to see what steps you all have took to resolve the “p0132” issue . P.S now p0131 pops up along with the consistent p0132.
UPDATE
Recently I spliced in a new terminal connector and it’s still showing the same codes .
Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Tachometer Trip computer

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining MustangEvolution!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
I encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you’ve chosen to join our community.

Not something I’m really knowledgeable about, so hopefully someone who is will jump in.

A Tech-Expert is needed.

·
Tech-Expert
309 Posts
hmmmmmm.....me thinks you need to look at the ecm....... and the wires specific going to it

Reactions: crjackson

·
Tech Expert
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort
3,058 Posts
I had E85 kill both upstream sensors in a matter of months. It's the water in the exhaust that does them in. E85 runs so cold that it promotes this. You'll also want to verify continuity at all the wires in the O2. It can code if the heater circuit goes out too, say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmmmmm.....me thinks you need to look at the ecm....... and the wires specific going to it
I’m going to give that a look as soon as possible !

I had E85 kill both upstream sensors in a matter of months. It's the water in the exhaust that does them in. E85 runs so cold that it promotes this. You'll also want to verify continuity at all the wires in the O2. It can code if the heater circuit goes out too, say.
I had a continuity tester on hand and checked the wires from the connector to the O2 and everything seemed to check out fine . They mimicked the same from the connector that was hooked into the working O2 .. could it possible be that my ECM had ruled out from reading this O2 specifically and basically put itself in a “brick” mode ?

·
Administrator
977 Posts
@KingZay24, have you made any progress on this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@KingZay24, have you made any progress on this?
I haven’t yet because j been busy with school and all but , my next steps will be examining the source of the almighty codes and that’s the ECU . I’m going to check the pins that feeds the power to the wires in the O2 as well as the ECU itself .. my theory is that is the ECU is in some form or fashion is “ignoring “ readings from bank 1 all together because if I can remember correctly when it happened nothing catastrophic caused the codes to pop up . The car just stopped reading AFR all together. Worst case scenario I swap in a new ECU and it repeats then I’m going to just get a wiring harness all together along with some fresh o2s . However , I don’t think it calls for a new harness because there are no visuals on any obvious frayed or burnt wires . However , In the end I think my EVU may have became faulty and just defaulting to “ghost” codes. I will definitely keep you posted once I get the ECU out

·
Tech Expert
3,058 Posts
I’m going to give that a look as soon as possible !

I had a continuity tester on hand and checked the wires from the connector to the O2 and everything seemed to check out fine . They mimicked the same from the connector that was hooked into the working O2 .. could it possible be that my ECM had ruled out from reading this O2 specifically and basically put itself in a “brick” mode ?
The only brick mode I'm aware of means nothing works. No start, zippo. Weird it is acting just like a dead O2 would but didn't follow the O2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only brick mode I'm aware of means nothing works. No start, zippo. Weird it is acting just like a dead O2 would but didn't follow the O2.
Right ! It’s definitely a tricky situation because I’ve done all the obvious changes like buying a fresh set of O2s and then swapping them to see if the code follows . And nope it was stuck on bank 1. I even checked my tuner and ran the data log from a cold start to see when the o2s kick in and the bank 2 once heated kicks in about 3 or so minutes and starts reading but nah 1 stays on 0. Check the continuity from the heater wires on the bank 1 and it was getting power ! Which made me scratch my head more . Made sure the connector was in tight and my headers and all don’t show any signs of leaks whatsoever because if that was the case this problem would have came about when I had full exhaust way back last year . I didn’t deal with this honestly until I went to e85 and I’m some what thinking the tune along with the fuel itself got my ECU in a jam . It gotta be because if not that then I wouldn’t know what else .

·
Tech Expert
3,058 Posts
I'm kinda out of ideas here too, given what you've done. I've not seen a lot of evidence of ECU failures on this platform, unlike the decades-old Foxbody stuff that are definitely showing signs of old age at this point.

I think if you have a friendly Ford dealer, it might be time to hook it up to their diagnostic software, as it's more robust and able to dive deeper than SCT or similar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts