Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, folks. First time poster, new member.

I will be purchasing a 2013-14 V6 Premium in about 2-3 months. I have pretty much decided on colour and interior, also the "main" package. (If you're curious, either D.I. Blue w/pony package or race red w/MCA package... Mostly due to rim colour/exterior paint looks... Saddle leather with both)

What I'm still undecided on is the smaller features: nav, performance, security/reverse, glass roof, that sort of thing.

So... I'd love some advice hearing what you all think. Any packages/features you find absolutely mandatory? Are the ones you decided on worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Lem

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
Hey, folks. First time poster, new member.

I will be purchasing a 2013-14 V6 Premium in about 2-3 months. I have pretty much decided on colour and interior, also the "main" package. (If you're curious, either D.I. Blue w/pony package or race red w/MCA package... Mostly due to rim colour/exterior paint looks... Saddle leather with both)

What I'm still undecided on is the smaller features: nav, performance, security/reverse, glass roof, that sort of thing.

So... I'd love some advice hearing what you all think. Any packages/features you find absolutely mandatory? Are the ones you decided on worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Lem
I am going to be the first to say it lol. For the price of a loaded premium v6 you can get a 5.0. If I was you that's what I would do. That being said I love my 3.7, but if I had the extra cash and I wasn't driving 250-300 miles a day I would've gotten the 5.0.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol... considered and passed on already, but we're thinking alike. It's my everyday car (or will be). Lots of city driving, lots of gas. While I dig the 5.0, I feel a loaded V6 will be easier to live with day to day... Plus I've driven a V6 on many occasions and they fit me just fine :).

Thanks for pointing that out, though. It was definitely something I did consider.

Lem

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
Lol... considered and passed on already, but we're thinking alike. It's my everyday car (or will be). Lots of city driving, lots of gas. While I dig the 5.0, I feel a loaded V6 will be easier to live with day to day... Plus I've driven a V6 on many occasions and they fit me just fine :).

Thanks for pointing that out, though. It was definitely something I did consider.

Lem
I will say this . I talked to a friend not too long ago and she is getting around 30 mpg Hwy in her 5.0. Lol but its your decision and my 3.7 has plenty of power for a DD. But I will be putting FI on it sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Welcome!

The Nav in My last ford was rarely used in 3 years... And was out of date quickly. That's why you have a smartphone!!

While some will disagree... I have the backup camera and security package. The camera really helps (screen in the mirror). I've backed into spots for 20 years... But having this really ensures safety (kids/PETA/property). It is disappointing that you can't get a GT500 style spoiler with it... But there are some creative folks that carved one up and made it work while looking factory.

Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
30 mpg isn't bad at all for the V8. But it can't beat 42 :). And, not sure where you live, but I'm assuming you're in the USA. In Canada gas is stuuuuupid compared to you guys. Sad fact :(.

Lem

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Black on Black... So getting back to topic, what did you end up putting in your 3.7?

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

The really f'd up irony is you get a huge share of oil from us... Go figure. Anyways... Packages! Lol

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
30 mpg isn't bad at all for the V8. But it can't beat 42 :). And, not sure where you live, but I'm assuming you're in the USA. In Canada gas is stuuuuupid compared to you guys. Sad fact :(.

Lem

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Black on Black... So getting back to topic, what did you end up putting in your 3.7?
What do you mean by that ? I have roush Cai, lethal performance O/R H-pipe, pypes pype-bomb axle back, Bama tune

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'd disagree about the 5.0 don't get me wrong nothing beats the sound of the v8 but a base 5.0 is so cheap looking. I'm shocked people buy stangs without interior upgrade. Heck a guy at my work has a 2010 convertible v6 base and spent the extra money for stripes and the automatic....it looks like absolute crap next to mine. I have the premium pckg with an MCA grille and OEM hids (now standard). Interior I have black leather and the interior upgrade Pckg....the aluminum looking dash and the leather and nicer gauges make it a whole different car inside and the my colour lights are a plus. Then there is sync which is my favorite thing about the package.

Ditch the Nav and glass roof...way overpriced. Opt for a performance Pckg I wish I got that. You get performance goodies and nicer wheels for a fair price.

The extras make a car substantial. A base model gt looks like crap inside and out compared to a fully loaded v6. There. I said it. If you don't care about having a nice interior and wheels etc then get a fox body with a crazy motor or a terminator cobra! 305hp kills pretty much all the v8 muscle cars of the 90s. Its plenty of power. Unless you absolutely need that v8 rumble there is no excuse to bash the 3.7. I can't stand people with 220hp v8 cars laughing at our v6s....plain ignorance. Its a shame really the cyclone is a brilliant engine.

I wasn't even in the market for a mustang I wanted a Nissan z with a 6cyl. This new engine brought me to mustang...the commercial "first 30mpg 305hp v6"

·
Registered
730 Posts

Lem
Just to let you know our 3.7 has almost the same power as a 10 GT! Cheaper on gas and insurance and if you do gears, tune and Cai to start its a v6 rocket! Don't get me wrong I love the new 5.0 but its not practical for me with the added cost. You can have a lot of fun with the v6 and with it loaded it would awesome!

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Lem

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

The really f'd up irony is you get a huge share of oil from us... Go figure. Anyways... Packages! Lol
How are you getting 42 mpg? Do tell! I get 12L/ 100 km. That's a mix of highway,city and traffic...oh yeah and a pretty heavy right foot! : )

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, some great advice so far. Let's tall about Nav for a second. To clarify, it does NOT include myford touch, right? Simply navigation? Any other goodies at all? Can Sync without the screen still provide destination/weather info?

Ford's page isn't the most transparent when it comes to digital features that I can find.

Anyways, the only other reason I was thinking about it was to break up the dash. The mustang stock dash isn't the best looking thing in the world. But it's not a deal breaker.

Lem

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

I'm going by the advertising literature that states 45mpg hwy. I realize that will be lower in real life. But still beats out the 5.0.

Lem

·
Registered
730 Posts
Ok, some great advice so far. Let's tall about Nav for a second. To clarify, it does NOT include myford touch, right? Simply navigation? Any other goodies at all? Can Sync without the screen still provide destination/weather info?

Ford's page isn't the most transparent when it comes to digital features that I can find.

Anyways, the only other reason I was thinking about it was to break up the dash. The mustang stock dash isn't the best looking thing in the world. But it's not a deal breaker.

Lem

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

I'm going by the advertising literature that states 45mpg hwy. I realize that will be lower in real life. But still beats out the 5.0.

Lem
45 mpg is unrealistic in everyday driving! If I baby it I can maybe get 31-32 in mixed driving! Some people are obsessed with trying to get ridiculous mpg and go to great lengths to try and get it, to them I say buy a prius. Your driving a mustang!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand that. But my insatiable lust for performance must be offset by reality. In reality I will probably hit between 30-35 mpg in the V6. In a 5.0 I suspect 22-27. Significant considering I want to balance performance with every-dayness.

I feel we're not discussing what my original question was lol. I'm simply concerned with packages for the V6. I want to know what ppl bought and why they love them or should have taken a pass.

I say this with respect: I'm not concerned with fuel consumption data on V6 vs V8. Nor am I concerned with which one is better. I'm getting a V6. It's decided. Done deal.

Now... Package thoughts please :).

Lem

·
Registered
730 Posts
I understand that. But my insatiable lust for performance must be offset by reality. In reality I will probably hit between 30-35 mpg in the V6. In a 5.0 I suspect 22-27. Significant considering I want to balance performance with every-dayness.

I feel we're not discussing what my original question was lol. I'm simply concerned with packages for the V6. I want to know what ppl bought and why they love them or should have taken a pass.

I say this with respect: I'm not concerned with fuel consumption data on V6 vs V8. Nor am I concerned with which one is better. I'm getting a V6. It's decided. Done deal.

Now... Package thoughts please :).

Lem
Great choice! Imo I think the nav option is way over priced! The pp is a great option imo depending what your long term goals

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool. My big question about the PP is how it affects the ride. One of the things I loved about the stock mustang was that I could literally drive in it for 12 hours on a road trip, get out, and feel fine... No odd backaches or anything.

I love the idea of the PP, but how much comfort does it take away? Minimal or tons?

Lem

·
Registered
67 Posts
I found the perf PACk fairly comfortable compared to standard v6. But I prefer a firmer ride. I think you can stream directions through your phone via blue tooth. I get 22 mpg in mixed driving. The my key feature I never use. Sync likewise maybe to stream radio shows to radio or make calls. In winter the comfort package is a plus

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
OP, Let's start out by asking you besides gas, what is it your looking for in your mustang? This is a individual question that only you can answer. The true performance V8 guy is always going to tell you to buy the 5.0 even if it only came with one door, roll up windows and no air conditioning because the only thing that matters is, its a V8 and how fast it goes. If Ford tomorrow made a 405 HP V6 the V8 guys would still say buy the V8. That's cool if that's your thing.

Do you plan to track your car? Depending on how you answer I would say the performance package is a great investment. If your not going to track your car, don't waste the $1700 dollars on the PP. Want more acceleration and still great MPG, get the 3:31 gears for 400 dollars from the factory. I think the leather seats are way nicer than the cloth and more comfortable for those longer commutes. I would get a back up camera. I would get the sync system. I am not a fan of the MCA pony package but that's just a personal preference. With the right gears (3:73) the 13 V6 is just as quick as a stock 10 Gt that came with 3:15 gears and that was the cats meow back in 2010.
A bare bones base 5.0 with absolutely nothing extra other than automatic is going to run you around 30k. That comes with cloth, manual seats. A loaded V6 will run you about the same, which will include, leather seats, power package, back up camera, upgraded gears, sync package,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OP, Let's start out by asking you besides gas, what is it your looking for in your mustang? This is a individual question that only you can answer. The true performance V8 guy is always going to tell you to buy the 5.0 even if it only came with one door, roll up windows and no air conditioning because the only thing that matters is, its a V8 and how fast it goes. If Ford tomorrow made a 405 HP V6 the V8 guys would still say buy the V8. That's cool if that's your thing.

Do you plan to track your car? Depending on how you answer I would say the performance package is a great investment. If your not going to track your car, don't waste the $1700 dollars on the PP. Want more acceleration and still great MPG, get the 3:31 gears for 400 dollars from the factory. I think the leather seats are way nicer than the cloth and more comfortable for those longer commutes. I would get a back up camera. I would get the sync system. I am not a fan of the MCA pony package but that's just a personal preference. With the right gears (3:73) the 13 V6 is just as quick as a stock 10 Gt that came with 3:15 gears and that was the cats meow back in 2010.
A bare bones base 5.0 with absolutely nothing extra other than automatic is going to run you around 30k. That comes with cloth, manual seats. A loaded V6 will run you about the same, which will include, leather seats, power package, back up camera, upgraded gears, sync package,
You're right, it's about what I'm looking for. I love performance, but the V8 bare bones seems less attractive than a loaded V6 for everyday use anyways.

Anyhow, I guess, as I've been thinking about it is... Perf pack or not. Electronics/nav or not. The 3.73 gear ratio seems like it might be a happy compromise to give me a little more boost in acceleration. Does anyone with the 3.73 option see any severe gas consumption disadvantages?

Lem

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2012 v6 and by far my favorite package on it is the performance package. It comes with tons of suspension upgrades, good looking rims, a slightly higher 3.31 rear end and better brakes. Driving my friends base model v6 truly feels completely different in terms of handling acceleration and braking. Not that his is bad by any means. I just never realized the difference the performance package made

1 - 20 of 70 Posts