Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was outside checkout out my stang when I notice a lot of paint chips and my clear coat is Also coming off! I recently purchased the car a couple of months ago, so I guess it's from the previous owners neglect. There are also scratches there that I have just noticed. And special products I should use to help get rid of all the chips? Anyway to help the clear coat? Also, my brothers stang is beyond messed up in the front. Any remedies for that, too?

image-2351588576.jpg

image-2341571853.jpg

image-3422567044.jpg

image-1164595910.jpg

image-823692059.jpg

image-2952728605.jpg

image-3610997402.jpg

image-1735529769.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
U can get touch up paint for really bad spots that are all the way to the primer. If a scuff is not all the way to the primer, you will be able to polish it out. If the scratch it deep ad you have to use touch up paint, if it is identical, you will not be able to tell it from a distance. You will barely see it up close.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The clear coat problem, not much you can do but have it redone. My has the same thing going on. I have an appointment to have it fixed in a couple weeks

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The clear coat problem, not much you can do but have it redone. My has the same thing going on. I have an appointment to have it fixed in a couple weeks
How much is that going to run you about?

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
How much is that going to run you about?
Remember, u get what you pay for on paint. A 500$ paint job will last about 500$ worth. You can get enamel paints with clear in them for cheaper than a base coat clear coat system. The PPG DAR 9000 black is about as cheap as it gets for PPG paints

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Remember, u get what you pay for on paint. A 500$ paint job will last about 500$ worth. You can get enamel paints with clear in them for cheaper than a base coat clear coat system. The PPG DAR 9000 black is about as cheap as it gets for PPG paints
Yea, if I were to get a new paint job id spend about $5000

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Lol! I'd think it run u about 2,500 for the real deal without having a lot goin on with the paint. I've not had anything painted in a while so who knows. The last I heard, they are going with new water based paints. That seems crazy to me.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol! I'd think it run u about 2,500 for the real deal without having a lot goin on with the paint. I've not had anything painted in a while so who knows. The last I heard, they are going with new water based paints. That seems crazy to me.
I also want an EXTREMELY good paint job. Only a step or two down from a mirror image basically lol. Also, I have a couple of dings so they would need to do quite a bit of prepping..

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I also want an EXTREMELY good paint job. Only a step or two down from a mirror image basically lol. Also, I have a couple of dings so they would need to do quite a bit of prepping..
Once it's in there, the mirror image comes from an awesome wet sanding and a really good buff and polish. The dings shouldn't be bad to get out depending on placement. If you are serious, just do your homework. Know what goes on your car. Don't be afraid to call and ask places what paint system they use. There are several out there and a lot of the major brands also carry a cheaper version of their product. Look at your door panel. It'll probably say PPG on the sticker. Just don't let them mix brands or anything crazy like that.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once it's in there, the mirror image comes from an awesome wet sanding and a really good buff and polish. The dings shouldn't be bad to get out depending on placement. If you are serious, just do your homework. Know what goes on your car. Don't be afraid to call and ask places what paint system they use. There are several out there and a lot of the major brands also carry a cheaper version of their product. Look at your door panel. It'll probably say PPG on the sticker. Just don't let them mix brands or anything crazy like that.
Alright man. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
302 Posts
You do get what you pay for. For my S281 wing an to repair the top where the clear coat is peeling an to fix a chip in my fender is going to cost me 300. Luckly I know the owner if the body shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts