Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend is selling a really nice almost new v6 2008 stang but idont like the color /: os it smart to get it and then do a paint job or no??

·
Registered
137 Posts
Depends on how much they're selling it for, if there's budget left over to bring the car to a paint booth after. also think about whether or not you would eventually change any exterior body parts like an after market hood. That will be a good reason to repaint

·
Registered
571 Posts
Just plasti dip it. They have many colours and it just come of when you want to resale it so it still has the original paint. That's what I would do. It really separated your car from the rest. 300th post!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Painting now days is very expensive. The price will be more depending on the amount of body work involved. Also if you make a big change in color you might want the engine bay and door jambs painted to match. This adds considerably more. Find a couple of good body shops and get quotes. Don't be afraid to ask if you can see some of their work. The good painters like to show their work.

·
Registered
344 Posts
As above; exactly.

1. Shop around; if a shop says they'll do what you're asking for well under other estimates, run! A ****ty paint job will plague you for years. It will fade. It may chip and be prone to scratching. If you find a good shop offering a mid-field price, that's probably a good start.

2. Haggle! Many shops will try and upsell you on paint - adding flake etc. Know what you want before you seriously start talking price. Having a good head for what you're after will help keep the shop from trying to make a few extra bucks off of you.

3. Be prepared to pay. Some guys out there have great paint-jobs they got at an amazing price. Don't rate yourself by them because they probably knew someone, had a relationship with the shop, or had some other 'in' to hook up. The nicer the job (outside of a Maaco poop spray) the more complete the work... I know a guy who had his S197 painted black, but didn't go to a good shop, and ended up with the under-side of his hood still base color, and his door jams, trunk lip etc etc.

4. Spend money BEFORE you paint. Never, and I mean never, should paint be the first thing you do to a car you're planning to modify. New hood, new paint. New accents? New paint. Also, wheels... Get a great idea of what wheels you want/have and try to get an idea how they look with the new color.

5. Don't do it. Just don't. Why? Because the first scratch, nick, ding, fade, chip etc that shows up on your new, expensive, flawless paint job will break your heart. It will just crush you because you'll always know there's that scratch on your drivers door, about half way up, where some knob opened his door into yours and completely ruined your flawless, ten-mile-deep, cherry-red paint job.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
459 Posts
If its a great price go for it, get some nice wheels, window tints and side covers. Will give it a different look. Make that color more lovable

·
Registered
456 Posts
Unless it is ridiculously cheap, or it honestly NEEDS a repaint, I would just keep looking. Figure what you would spend on a paint job, add that to what they are asking, then look for another stang in that price range. You seriously could purchase a decent list of mods for what paint would cost.
Not trying to talk you out of painting it. Just helping you look at all your options. Like the others said, the color might grow on you after you start modding to make it yours. I think rims and tires, lower it and get rid of the white stripes would look good, and be cheaper.
One more thing. If the price is so under "book" value that you can warrant a paint job.... I would make sure everything else on/in the car is in good shape.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
A really good paint job is a serious investment. A really good paint job could run well over 2500 and still wouldn't get near the engine bay or trunk lid. If you want it done properly your looking at pulling up some of the interior, dropping the drivetrain out, and removing the trunk lid so it can be properly sprayed. A great job like that is a 6000$ proposition pretty easily. And your still not into specialty paints or protection for it after its sprayed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You guys are right. I managed to haggle 3500 for it and its mint condition i already checked it out. But... I don't like the color and i really want something i love as my first car. Paintjob aint worth it thanks guys!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I got that color car maybe add more black to it. i've only put plasti dip on the the rims, limo tint all around, pioneer screen stereo and remote start...... And only$1000 left on the payments planning to buy real black rims this time.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts