Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The paint on the fender is fading away!!! it is not peeling and it is not scratched, it is just fading away. it lost its shine and the silver is kind of going away and turning into white. I had an accident a while ago and they fixed and repainted the fender, maybe they used crappy paint, I don't know. At first it was just a little spot, I thought it was little scratches as if someone had leaned on it with jeans or something, but its getting bigger. could it be the sun?, am I going to have to get a new paint job?aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh:banghead:

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
V6STANG007 said:
The paint on the fender is fading away!!! it is not peeling and it is not scratched, it is just fading away. it lost its shine and the silver is kind of going away and turning into white. I had an accident a while ago and they fixed and repainted the fender, maybe they used crappy paint, I don't know. At first it was just a little spot, I thought it was little scratches as if someone had leaned on it with jeans or something, but its getting bigger. could it be the sun?, am I going to have to get a new paint job?aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh:banghead:
yea more than likely they used crappy paint. I would just go buy some paint and paint the fender yourself. Its not hard at all just to do the fender.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
V6STANG007 said:
I would not know where to start. first off where do I get the paint? the ford dealer? would I have to do any prep work? I've never had to paint a car before.
Dont get it from ford. Just go to a Auto Paint store and have them mix the color for you. You should only need a Quart. You will need to wet sand the fender and then prime it. Wet sand the primer and then paint it with silver then put clear coat over it.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Well, most body shops back up their work. I would go to them first and then tell them to use the paint you chose.

But, you can do it yourself. The general way to have a great paint job is too...

• Sand down past paint and primier.
  • Complete any body work.
  • Use gray primier.
  • Paint with color of choice. Three coats is just about right.
  • Wetsand.
  • Clearcoat.
  • Wait two weeks and add your first layer of wax.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You guys crack me up! No, you cannot do this yourself. I started doing bodywork in 1978 and I now own the same shop I originally started at. Take the car back to the body shop that did the repair and if they are a reputable shop, they will take care of the problem. There is not enough room here for me to explain how to properly refinish a fender, especially silver! Don't try this at home kids!

·
Banned
321 Posts
I have been doing body work for some time now. Did any of us know exactly what were doing when we first started? NO!! What you should have said is: I would not recommend painting your own car unless you are familiar with the procedures, have the knowledge, tools, and know how. But... If you want to tackle such a job, and you feel that you can handle the task, then give it your best shot.

In conclusion... Yes, you can do this job yourself, but make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. Takes time and patience to do a good job.

I bid you luck!!

And to mister "You cant do it yourself":fu2:

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
yea painting a car may look easy on tv, you see a little sanding a little painting and its perfection... in real life its alot of hard work, the guys that do GOOD WORK deserve every penny they get. a good shop will stand behind their job. I got my rear quarter re painted and they did an amazing job. just make sure to either take the fender off when you paint it or use some of that plastic gel stuff so you dont get over spray on the other parts of the car, OMG that stuff is horrible to get off. they say wash it and it will come off lol NOPE takes more than that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
kaper232 said:
And to mister "You cant do it yourself":fu2:
Nice attitude fella. I would expect a better summary from a fellow collision tech. I make it down to Indy every so often, maybe we can get together and talk "shop" sometime and hopefully you can leave that angst-ridden attitude at home. g-day

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
getgo said:
Nice attitude fella. I would expect a better summary from a fellow collision tech. I make it down to Indy every so often, maybe we can get together and talk "shop" sometime and hopefully you can leave that angst-ridden attitude at home. g-day
:rolleyes: well boys, come one now haha jk, yeah I would not say to paint it your self, unless you really really want to.. :p: :rolleyes: :cool:

·
Banned
321 Posts
getgo said:
You guys crack me up! No, you cannot do this yourself. I started doing bodywork in 1978 and I now own the same shop I originally started at. Take the car back to the body shop that did the repair and if they are a reputable shop, they will take care of the problem. There is not enough room here for me to explain how to properly refinish a fender, especially silver! Don't try this at home kids!
My aim is very simple... Most of these guys are young and a lot of them are do it yourselfers... You come on here and laugh at these guys for wanting to learn and try... So ok, I approached your post wrong... My apologizes for that one, but do us all a favor... If you have the know how, and someone is wanting to learn, then point that person in the right direction and not tell someone that they cant do it or laugh at them...

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Me and this other guy did all the body work and just about painted the whole thing ourselves in our schools Ag shop. Painted it with a $45 spray gun, sanded with a single DA and a block of wood and some 220 and 80 grit.

Yea, we had a paint booth, but as long as you can keep the doors closed in your garage, it'll turn out just the same.

So don't give me that, "You can't do it on your own." crap. The best painters come from backyard shops.

(No that's not me on the tractor.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
kaper232 said:
My aim is very simple... Most of these guys are young and a lot of them are do it yourselfers... You come on here and laugh at these guys for wanting to learn and try... So ok, I approached your post wrong... My apologizes for that one, but do us all a favor... If you have the know how, and someone is wanting to learn, then point that person in the right direction and not tell someone that they cant do it or laugh at them...
OK, Much better. I agree I was being pretty frank by saying not to try this at home so I will try and be a little more professional myself.

First of all, A reputable auto paint supply store will not sell the proper supplies needed to "paint" a part of a car. They might sell you the body fillers, tape, sandpaper etc. but, real quality paint and primers are pretty regulated. They contain hazardous chemicals that, when not used properly can cause some serious health problems. Ever heard of isocyanates? Very, very bad and harmful by-products of modern automotive finishes. These things can kill ya! Now granted, spraying one fender on one car even without the proper protection most likely will not kill you but you can get pretty sick and your body can never get rid of isocyanates, ever!

I would love nothing more than to see more young fellas get involved in auto collision repair as we are losing more techs each year than we are gaining. Our industry is in a real mess at the moment so, with this I offer this;
I am located in northern Indiana, center of the state. My shop has a great reputation locally and I have done custom work, restorations, and some pretty nasty collisions over the years so, If anyone needs any help and can get near my area, I would be more than happy to help them any way I can with any problems with their cars. From the smallest scratch to the worst dent, gimme a shout and I will do my best to advise the best I can. Just ask Joe! And thanks for the apology kaper, it is more than accepted! :good:

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
dom your right, BTW thats my tractor :lol: hey dude in Indy, (not kaper232) u do paint work? my front bumper has bad paint, i can prep it my self, but the E9 is hard to paint, and cost lots of $$ but yeah comeon down to indy (me and kaper232 are about 5 min away from each other) and Drummerstang98 (i think thats right :uhh: ) is about 3 hrs from us..

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Awesome fish! What year is it? Ours was a '52. Anything that could be wrong with it was. Took us a year to restore the Ag shop one.

I remember carrying the engine block from the guys van all the way across the shop in my arms. :lol:

I wanna do one with the flat head V8 conversion and not just the flat head four. One you build a flat head four, you wanna try something new.

Pssst....the seat is supposed to be black. ;)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
getgo said:
I take no offense in your comment. I try to do as much of the work my car needs withmy step dad (he know what he is doing), But I don't think I would want to mess with paint. I beleive I lack the patience and skill. I would probably end up messing it up and spending more $$ than I should've. I will probably use this opprtunity to have a body shop fix the little scrathes the car has gotten over time. How much do u think i'tll cost me to have the fender repainted?
thanks guys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
V6STANG007 said:
How much do u think i'tll cost me to have the fender repainted?
thanks guys.
It really depends on the year of your car, damage, and if blending any adjacent panels for a color match is neccessary. If the damaged area is small and located in the center of the fender then it can be blended within the fender itself. Shop labor rates vary from region to region so this will also determine the cost. Post a few more specifics about the car and I can give you a guesstimate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, using the info 2000 stang convert, to refinish the left fender only, remove and re-install the fender emblem (if it has one) mask/cover car for overspray and $2 fee for hazardous waste removal, my estimating software (ADP) is telling me $244.02.
Once again,that is based on our local labor rates and only painting the fender and quoting right from the computer.
If you walked in my shop, wanted me to do the work and I was feeling generous, I might even drop it to $200.00.

Make sure to go to the shop that originally repaired your fender first. As we stated b-4, a reputable shop will stand behind their work. I know I would rather fix a blem on a customers car and have them feel like they were treated right than to blow them off and have them tell everyone they know that they were treated poorly.
(incidentally, my accountant has an 02 silver gt convert and I had to repair the front cover and refinish it, silver can be a pain to panel paint/ ie. no blending)
Keep us posted on your car.

·
Banned
321 Posts
Now that we are back on topic... Can you take a pic of what you are talking about, this will give us a better idea of the work that is involved.

Also, getgo... It would be nice to meet up with you sometime when you are in Indy... Im sure Fish and I can show you around a little and get some Hooters... Well, wings from hooters or something...:uhh:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts