Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard its a pain in the a$$ to paint your brake calipers due to taking them and cleaning the brake dust, and everything else. Should I just get the brake caliper covers on AM or paint? I'd rather paint them cause its cheaper lol. Thoughts?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've always painted mine, they turn out great, it's worth the effort. I'm not a fan of the covers, to me they look fake, because I know they are, and they're only going to make the caliper retain more heat.

I'll usually lay out some cardboard underneath to catch the mess i'm making so I can throw it all away when i'm done. I clean the calipers with a quick wire brush to get any surface gunk, then spray them down with brake parts cleaner and let them dry. After that, paint away. It doesn't have to be perfection, the paint covers & sticks well. It's a nice afternoon project in the garage.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always painted mine, they turn out great, it's worth the effort. I'm not a fan of the covers, to me they look fake, because I know they are, and they're only going to make the caliper retain more heat.

I'll usually lay out some cardboard underneath to catch the mess i'm making so I can throw it all away when i'm done. I clean the calipers with a quick wire brush to get any surface gunk, then spray them down with brake parts cleaner and let them dry. After that, paint away. It doesn't have to be perfection, the paint covers & sticks well. It's a nice afternoon project in the garage.
Now that you said I kinda agree with you on the fake thing cause its just the easy way out for people who don't wanna take the time to paint them and they look the same so I'm gonna paint them. Did you newspaper everything off and just go to town on painting them?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I heard its a pain in the a$$ to paint your brake calipers due to taking them and cleaning the brake dust, and everything else. Should I just get the brake caliper covers on AM or paint? I'd rather paint them cause its cheaper lol. Thoughts?
So. I painted mine black (rear calipers only) but didn't even take off the wheels... I had enough room between the spokes to use the brush. Just taped up the wheel in case it dripped. I used the duplicolor kit... Worked well except the cheap brush they include kept shedding bristles which I had to quickly pull. Get a good brush and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Now that you said I kinda agree with you on the fake thing cause its just the easy way out for people who don't wanna take the time to paint them and they look the same so I'm gonna paint them. Did you newspaper everything off and just go to town on painting them?
The kit is a liquid paint which you need to brush on, so I didn't have to tape or protect very much of anything, any drips the cardboard catches, as not to get on my pretty clean garage floor.

+1 on the brush, it sucks, so buy a decent small brush at the hardware store for a few bucks and throw it away when you're done. Minimal mess & clean up makes for a great project in my eyes.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
when i paint calipers i just buy a can of high temp engine paint...pop my wheels off...tape off the calipers and mask the rotors and wheel well...clean it off with some brake cleaner...dry it with a rag...then spray it down with paint...usually 3 coats will do. takes less then an hour to do all four...heck i've even gone driving imediately after reinstalling the wheels right after finishing painting. i'm over a year after painting my calipers this way and no chipping or discoloration yet

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
when i paint calipers i just buy a can of high temp engine paint...pop my wheels off...tape off the calipers and mask the rotors and wheel well...clean it off with some brake cleaner...dry it with a rag...then spray it down with paint...usually 3 coats will do. takes less then an hour to do all four...heck i've even gone driving imediately after reinstalling the wheels right after finishing painting. i'm over a year after painting my calipers this way and no chipping or discoloration yet
+1000

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I was wanting to is paint them with high temperature spray instead of using the brush. What should I do to clean the wheels really good?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did 4. Let about 5-10 min between coats. It will be much faster and easier if you can get the car off the ground completely and do all 4 at the same time
Yeah that's what I was gonna do. Put it on 4 jack stands and take off all the wheels at the same time. Just do one coat on each wheel then the same process over again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
+1 for this

VHT. Makes a high temp caliper paint in a spray can. Works wonderful. You can even order custom colors from there site

1 - 20 of 39 Posts