Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm going to order the Stillen Chin spoiler for my 2012 MCA edition. The local shop wants to charge me a fortune to paint it, but I have no idea how to do it myself. My mustang is Black which is easy enough to match using Ford paint, but how do I paint and finish it to match the car finish exactly?

Thanks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would see if you could order from American Muscle. They offer painting of almost all of the body parts they sell.

·
Registered
285 Posts
rebeltx said:
I would see if you could order from American Muscle. They offer painting of almost all of the body parts they sell.
+1 Don't pay a ridiculous amount to dealers. They're evil when you break them down and see the inter core workings of them (there are a few exceptions though).

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
American muscle will paint all there plastic stuff I believe. Just ask and find out

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a no from American Muscle. They don't offer painting on this part. I ordered it and I am contemplating taking my chances with duplicolor cans. Eeeek.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
Is this piece textured? Is so you're going to have to sand it down till it's smooth. Then paint it it about three or four layers and then maybe three layers of clear. You may not need to wet sand it afterwards but if you do, use a really, really fine grade paper. The good thing about this is if you mess up, it's not gonna be to big of a deal to start over. Check YouTube, they should have some tips for painting plastic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice, wish me luck. I'm being super anal about it. The part is black and my car is black, so I'm going through all of this trouble just to get the perfectly matching Ford UA Black Gloss finish match to the car. A victim of my own perfectionism I guess.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
Hey, it's your ride and you'll never learn until you give it a shot I have a feeling it's going to come out great!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Painting is something you need to be very meticulous and patient with. Take your time and be anal about every step. If you take your time and do it right it can come out looking just as good as any shop.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
There are shops that literally do the DIY method and just charge you because you don't have the knowledge. When it comes to paint that's up to you. I'm a good plasti dipper and descent with base coats. Other than that I'd rather pay.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
They make different blacks and different whites. I bought ep performance white and my paint code was hp performance white. Woah what I difference

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Why Paint it?

Why bother painting it? It is already black. That will be the part that if you run over a curb or hit an animal, will have to be replaced. Your car is already black.

Not sure on how the plastic will hold up with the paint job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts