Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I like the black look of the RTR exhaust but prefer the sound of my Roush AB's with Boss 302 sides.

So, I was thinking of painting my Roush tips black. The tips come off separately, so this should be pretty straight forward.

Some options:

1) Powder coat? Kind of looking for a DIY option, so this isn't very attractive.
2) Engine block / grill paint / caliper paint?
3) This: Black chrome painted the exhaust tips. - MercuryMarauder.net Forums looks nice ... good for 250 degrees, how hot do GT tips get?

Any other ideas? Maybe looking for a New Years Day project so preferably with stuff I can buy locally.

What kind of prep would I do? Clean, Sand it down, clean again, primer, then paint?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Sounds like you already have it figured out. Local parts store will have everything you need. I use vht brand on my bike engines, but any high temp paint will work.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife said "I like them shiny!" and I told her "when you get your Mustang you can keep them shiny". ;)

The reviews on the Duplicolor chrome paint seem to be mixed ... so I may not go that route.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
mmike87 said:
My wife said "I like them shiny!" and I told her "when you get your Mustang you can keep them shiny". ;)

The reviews on the Duplicolor chrome paint seem to be mixed ... so I may not go that route.
Duplicolor is good stuff. They probably let it sit to long.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Yeah I like that RTR look too but they sound too bubbly for my taste so Im having mine powdercoated. Can only do flat black on high temp areas but gloss black would be hard to keep looking good, Id think. Considering painting the Borla text or just a stripe (ring) around the tips in a high temp gb (body color), or as close as I can get to gb, on top of the powdercoat. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
So, I like the black look of the RTR exhaust but prefer the sound of my Roush AB's with Boss 302 sides.

So, I was thinking of painting my Roush tips black. The tips come off separately, so this should be pretty straight forward.

Some options:

1) Powder coat? Kind of looking for a DIY option, so this isn't very attractive.
3) This: Black chrome painted the exhaust tips. - MercuryMarauder.net Forums looks nice ... good for 250 degrees, how hot do GT tips get?

Any other ideas? Maybe looking for a New Years Day project so preferably with stuff I can buy locally.

What kind of prep would I do? Clean, Sand it down, clean again, primer, then paint?

Thanks.
Just buy high temp paint from autozone

·
Lorraine's driver
8,208 Posts
Will the paint stick to the chrome properly? You don't want it to chip off in a few weeks or months, etc.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
What kind of prep for polished stainless tips? I assume you'd need some sort of primer first?
Just scuff them up with like 800-1000 grit sand paper just enough to make the paint stick good. Ima paint my Roush Axleback tips as well I just need to buy the sand paper I already have the paint from when I painted my rims two weeks ago

·
Registered
176 Posts

Some options:

Thanks.
I plastidipped my roush tips a few months back and they are still in great shape. I even power wash them when i wash the car.

ForumRunner_20121231_131321.png

ForumRunner_20121231_131343.png

·
Registered
176 Posts
Those look nice how many coats did you put on
i think i went a little over kill and did like 5 or 6 coats lol. just wanted to make sure it was going to be good with the heat and so far so good. didnt scuff or anything in case i wanted to peel it off for any reason. only thing that happened so far was since im lowered i scrapped it on a drive way but all i had to do was use a little bit of thinner and smooth it out and respray it it and it looks new again.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
i think i went a little over kill and did like 5 or 6 coats lol. just wanted to make sure it was going to be good with the heat and so far so good. didnt scuff or anything in case i wanted to peel it off for any reason. only thing that happened so far was since im lowered i scrapped it on a drive way but all i had to do was use a little bit of thinner and smooth it out and respray it it and it looks new again.
Plasti dip can withstand high temps up to 200 degrees last I checked. My friend plasti dipped his entire car that's why

·
Lorraine's driver
8,208 Posts
winslow16, how did you get the plasti-dip to match your rear spoiler? It looks charcoal gray rather than black.

·
Registered
176 Posts
winslow16, how did you get the plasti-dip to match your rear spoiler? It looks charcoal gray rather than black.
i think its because its a flat look. i used a black can and its darker in person so maybe a combo of the light and flat finish but i think it looks great and people actually notice it which make it pretty cool too

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't the tips get above 200 degrees? I have hit them with my leg before and they were pretty damn hot. I am surprised that Plastidip worked on the tips. It looks great, though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Plasti dip can withstand high temps up to 200 degrees last I checked. My friend plasti dipped his entire car that's why
i actually thought about that. i wanted to get a new hood but to do it right you usually blend the fenders so the match is perfect but i also wanted to have the holes filled from my license plate and repainted and that alone would be close to $1000 so i was considering plastidipping since they make a glossifier now so it wont have a flat finish

1 - 20 of 48 Posts