Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Painting exhaust tips

Tags
exhaust
12K views 47 replies 11 participants last post by  ab_mach1 
#1 ·
So, I like the black look of the RTR exhaust but prefer the sound of my Roush AB's with Boss 302 sides.

So, I was thinking of painting my Roush tips black. The tips come off separately, so this should be pretty straight forward.

Some options:

1) Powder coat? Kind of looking for a DIY option, so this isn't very attractive.
2) Engine block / grill paint / caliper paint?
3) This: Black chrome painted the exhaust tips. - MercuryMarauder.net Forums looks nice ... good for 250 degrees, how hot do GT tips get?

Any other ideas? Maybe looking for a New Years Day project so preferably with stuff I can buy locally.

What kind of prep would I do? Clean, Sand it down, clean again, primer, then paint?

Thanks.

#5 ·
Yeah I like that RTR look too but they sound too bubbly for my taste so Im having mine powdercoated. Can only do flat black on high temp areas but gloss black would be hard to keep looking good, Id think. Considering painting the Borla text or just a stripe (ring) around the tips in a high temp gb (body color), or as close as I can get to gb, on top of the powdercoat. Just some thoughts.

#6 ·
So, I like the black look of the RTR exhaust but prefer the sound of my Roush AB's with Boss 302 sides.

So, I was thinking of painting my Roush tips black. The tips come off separately, so this should be pretty straight forward.

Some options:

1) Powder coat? Kind of looking for a DIY option, so this isn't very attractive.
3) This: Black chrome painted the exhaust tips. - MercuryMarauder.net Forums looks nice ... good for 250 degrees, how hot do GT tips get?

Any other ideas? Maybe looking for a New Years Day project so preferably with stuff I can buy locally.

What kind of prep would I do? Clean, Sand it down, clean again, primer, then paint?

Thanks.
Just buy high temp paint from autozone

#11 ·

Some options:

Thanks.
I plastidipped my roush tips a few months back and they are still in great shape. I even power wash them when i wash the car.

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust Rim

Automotive exterior Bumper Red Auto part Bumper part

#22 ·
I asked a friend to paint my Borla's flat black. When l went back to get my car, I nearly went into cardiac arrest and then started laughing! He had painted everything but the name. And it sticks out like a sore thumb. He still refuses to paint over the Borla name. He says it kind of sacrilegious!

Everytime l walk up to my car, l find myself looking at that bare spot and l feel embarrassed! One of them has to go!

#33 ·
Done.

mmike87's Library | Photobucket

Overall, it looks pretty good. I like the deep, glossy look since they match the "piano black" Forgestar's on the car. I'm a shiny not matte type of person.

It was a cool out and below the 60 degrees suggested application temperature, but I'd spray and immediately hit with a hairdryer and that worked really well. With the hairdryer I was able to re-attach the tip less than 30 mins after the last clear coat. I was able to handle the bottom of the tips since they don't show anyway ... but it was thoroughly dry to the touch.

I put it on pretty heavy ... but it does look different than just glossy black - it keeps the "black chrome" look.

#38 ·
Done.

Overall, it looks pretty good. I like the deep, glossy look since they match the "piano black" Forgestar's on the car. I'm a shiny not matte type of person.

It was a cool out and below the 60 degrees suggested application temperature, but I'd spray and immediately hit with a hairdryer and that worked really well. With the hairdryer I was able to re-attach the tip less than 30 mins after the last clear coat. I was able to handle the bottom of the tips since they don't show anyway ... but it was thoroughly dry to the touch.

I put it on pretty heavy ... but it does look different than just glossy black - it keeps the "black chrome" look.
Looks good! :good:

#34 ·
mmike87 said:
Done.

Where did you get that roush gas cap ? BTW nice car bro. I'm loving the black and red. I'm thinkin of doin red accents on my black.

#35 ·
My car was a dealer-created "Roush package" that came with all sorts of Roush stuff (springs, CAI, exhaust, shift knob / boot, etc.).

The Ford dealership creates the faux-Roush cars and sells them. Knowing what I know now I could do without the bling, but it is what it is.

#36 ·
mmike87 said:
My car was a dealer-created "Roush package" that came with all sorts of Roush stuff (springs, CAI, exhaust, shift knob / boot, etc.).

The Ford dealership creates the faux-Roush cars and sells them. Knowing what I know now I could do without the bling, but it is what it is.
Lol sell me your black out panel and gas cap then :p ill give you mine.

#42 ·
mmike87 said:
Not handy, sorry. I can try and take one tomorrow.
Thanks and BTW they want $55 just for the insert for the gas cap. Lol ill stick with my PlastiDip one :p

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

Charlie_santos said:
I shall do this
+1 I just wish mine came off like the the roush's .. I would have to take off the entire axle back.

#43 ·
Thanks and BTW they want $55 just for the insert for the gas cap. Lol ill stick with my PlastiDip one :p

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

+1 I just wish mine came off like the the roush's .. I would have to take off the entire axle back.
No you don't. Just use news paper and tape off ur rear valance and just paint away bro my friend did that to his flowmasters lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.