Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Painting your rear valance is a pretty easy process that just takes a lot of time and patience. But anytime you paint something you never want to rush into it.

Supplies Needed:

Rubbing Alcohol
800 grit wetordry sandpaper
Blue painters tape
Dupli-Color primer
Dupli-Color flat-black body paint
Plenty of old newspaper

Step 1:
Before you go ahead to paint your rear valance you want to make sure the weather is pretty warm, you do NOT want to paint in the cold.Also make sure you are in a low-dust area..the last thing you want is for dust to get caught onto the paint before it fully dries.The 1st thing you want to do is completely clean the whole area with rubbing alcohol, you do not want to be working w/ a dirty-surface.

Step 2:
You want to tape off the valance on your rear bumper first.This is where the blue painters tape comes in handy. Take your time to get the lines as perfect as possible.

Step 3:
Wet sand the area with the 800grit sandpaper.You will get a white, milk type mix of water as you sand the area.You do not want to sand too much off just enough that will give you a even, smooth surface to paint on.Wipe the water off the bumper and once again clean the area with rubbing alcohol.

Step 4:
Completely cover the whole rear bumper with old newspaper.You definitely do not want to risk any type of over-spray or else you'll have to pull out the clay-bar.

Step5:
Now with the area completely masked off spray primer onto the valance.Allow the primer to dry(which mind you will not take long what so ever.)Once again wetsand the area that you just sprayed primer onto.Dry and clean the area and go onto the next step.

Step 6:
Spray an even coat of paint on the valance so that the whole area is covered in black. Give it about 30min or so before spraying another coat. Do not spray too much or it will begin to drip and you would most likely have to start all over again and i dont think you want to do that.

Step 7:
Spray 4 or 5 coats of paint total with 30min between each coat. After the last coat has been sprayed wait about 3 hours before you drive the car anywhere, you want to make sure the paint has had enough time to fully dry. Also wait a while for it to dry before you pull the tape and newspaper away. You don't want to screw up an edge while pulling it away.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Re: How To Paint Your Mustangs Rear Valance.

Nice Article But you left out the primer step

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts

You can use Krylon Fusion paint and no sanding or priming is required :good:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Herbstang said:
Nice Article But you left out the primer step
oops, fixed :) and Zim is correct Krylon Fusion doesnt require any sanding or priming :good:

·
Registered
2 Posts

I used the krylong w/o priming or sanding....maybe I should have sanded...it turned out nice...but i had to do some touching up after removing painters tape....the Paint seemed to stick together quite a bit...when pulling off the tape it pulled off some of the paint as well....im curious to see if it peels off from daily driving or washing...seems like it might, but I hope not!

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts

01RedVert said:
I used the krylong w/o priming or sanding....maybe I should have sanded...it turned out nice...but i had to do some touching up after removing painters tape....the Paint seemed to stick together quite a bit...when pulling off the tape it pulled off some of the paint as well....im curious to see if it peels off from daily driving or washing...seems like it might, but I hope not!
Here is a trick we use in Aviation. Once the paint is dry there will be a ridge where the new paint ends and the stock paint is. There is a simple solution Edge seal. They make edge seal but it is nothing more than clear urethane paint or you can use clear fingernail polish. You dont need much just go along the edge where the paint meets a couple of times. This will prevent moisture from getting under then new paint and peeling it up. Edge seal is also used to prevent decals and striping from coming off

1 - 6 of 6 Posts