Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some high heat red paint to paint the cover of the coils. Should i sand it first or just go straight to painting it? I have a race red so i thought that the cover red would look nice and different? I am also going with a carbon fiber cai and a boss manifold.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did know they had them lol, it would look nice, but i dont like that they dont say anything on top, would a sticker survive the heat in there??!

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
McQueen said:
I bought some high heat red paint to paint the cover of the coils. Should i sand it first or just go straight to painting it? I have a race red so i thought that the cover red would look nice and different? I am also going with a carbon fiber cai and a boss manifold.
Let me save you the time and trouble because I destroyed mine the first time. I would Just buy them personally, but here is what works well. Others have skipped the sanding and priming and have been ok, but the dry time is crucial.

Sand it
Primer it or use adhesion promoter
Sand the primer
Apply a light coat
Sand if needed
Apply two more coats
Sand if needed
Let it dry for 2 days if you can

Clear is very hard to apply, because to do it right, there is sanding and buffing involved, and lots of drying time. I put my coil covers back on after 24 hours and the clear started melting and running after a 30 min drive. I'm not sure if it was because it wasn't fully dry or from the heat. I ended up buying chrome coil covers. Here's a pic before they melted.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea the guy that sold me the paint at auto zone told me to stay away from clear coat bc it was going to melt like butter, he said i should be fine with just the red paint because it was made to paint engines.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
McQueen said:
I did know they had them lol, it would look nice, but i dont like that they dont say anything on top, would a sticker survive the heat in there??!
Stickers in the engine bay in general will survive!.. Take a look at the ones from the factory that are there!.. But I personally wouldn't put any on your coil covers!.. That's a more direct source of heat!..

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eturner said:
Stickers in the engine bay in general will survive!.. Take a look at the ones from the factory that are there!.. But I personally wouldn't put any on your coil covers!.. That's a more direct source of heat!..
I am getting kooks headers so i wanted to put a nice discrete sticker of kooks to show what i got lol.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What i dont like about the cf is that make it all look to dark, i want a little bit of color. Lol
I am just going to paint it red and if i dont like it just get the cf

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
McQueen said:
I am getting kooks headers so i wanted to put a nice discrete sticker of kooks to show what i got lol.
I like doing similar things!.. Lol. I've got a couple of stickers in my engine bay!.. But mine are just over and in front of the radiator!.. Not sure what all you guys got in that area on your cars though!.. Lol

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
McQueen said:
Yea the guy that sold me the paint at auto zone told me to stay away from clear coat bc it was going to melt like butter, he said i should be fine with just the red paint because it was made to paint engines.
Yeah I think you'll be ok with that.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Musskao said:
? You think it will melt as well? Have a friend going to plasti his, but I told him about the heat...
Ooh hahahaha thats funny, plasti dip with catch fire under that heat because it is rubber.

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
McQueen said:
Was it hard to take the cover off
They snap right out. When you put them back in, make sure you completely move all the hoses out if the way, they will scratch the paint. It's mainly on the drivers side that you'll have to worry about.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good thing he didnt do it!!!!

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Mikeyt03 said:
They snap right out. When you put them back in, make sure you completely move all the hoses out if the way, they will scratch the paint. It's mainly on the drivers side that you'll have to worry about.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
McQueen said:
What i dont like about the cf is that make it all look to dark, i want a little bit of color. Lol
I am just going to paint it red and if i dont like it just get the cf
Post pics when your done!.. Would like to see the finished product!..

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont like the carbon cover for some reason!

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

I will post pics

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is coming out SUPER good, way better than i expected.. They dont look painted, they look like the plastic is red. Will post a pic of them on the car tomorrow..

1 - 20 of 90 Posts