Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want my wheels to be black because im going for the blacked out look. i plan on just getting new wheels asap however im almost done appearance wise and i cant stand looking at my wheels anymore. i have zero intentions of selling my stock wheels ever. any opinions or advice on painting my stock wheels?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Powder coat?

i was thinking that but i would be spending like $400. im currently saving for new wheels probaby gonna do it around spring time. i feel like the 400 i would spend to powder coat is just money i could be saving for new wheels

·
Registered
177 Posts
Plastidip, some one will say it, it is cheaper then powder coating, and it will do what you want till you get the new wheels..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can I just spray paint? I'm afraid the plasti dip will chip when I wash it, and I want it to be really glossy

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
can I just spray paint? I'm afraid the plasti dip will chip when I wash it, and I want it to be really glossy
plasti dipp once dried won't chip...

mine has been through salt and snow, a car wash, and my hose. Still same as the day I put it on.

Also you can buy the glossifier and spray that on and it becomes glossy.

total cost? $35 max.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
plasti dipp once dried won't chip...

mine has been through salt and snow, a car wash, and my hose. Still same as the day I put it on.

Also you can buy the glossifier and spray that on and it becomes glossy.

total cost? $35 max.
where dipyourcar.com? I found plasti at Home Depot but no glossifier

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Nothing wrong with spay paint I used tractor enamel on mine

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
yeah that site. I haven't seen it anywhere else. Personally I ended up liking the matte black even though my car is themed glossy red and black.

I mean worst case, $24 for four cans, spray your wheels and if you don't like it, peel it all off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah that site. I haven't seen it anywhere else. Personally I ended up liking the matte black even though my car is themed glossy red and black.

I mean worst case, $24 for four cans, spray your wheels and if you don't like it, peel it all off.
true true

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Here are my 2011 stock 18s plasti dipped. Paid like 24 dollars including tax buying the plasti dip at Lowes.

ForumRunner_20121228_223809.png

·
Registered
105 Posts
If u don't want to order the glossifier from the website you could just plastidip them then use gloss spray paint over it. That's what I'm doing

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
The most you will usually find at hardware stores is black and white, any other types you gotta go to dipyourcar.com

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

If u don't want to order the glossifier from the website you could just plastidip them then use gloss spray paint over it. That's what I'm doing
Doesn't work that great. It will have the same effect visual wise, but i garuntee you that it will take you a very long time to take it off if you ever do because it doesn't peel off. If you use regular gloss over the plasti dip it will break and chip when you take if off making it a serious B*tch to take off.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The most you will usually find at hardware stores is black and white, any other types you gotta go to dipyourcar.com

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Doesn't work that great. It will have the same effect visual wise, but i garuntee you that it will take you a very long time to take it off if you ever do because it doesn't peel off. If you use regular gloss over the plasti dip it will break and chip when you take if off making it a serious B*tch to take off.
Ya that's the downside to that but I don't mind spending the extra time to peel it off later. I'd imagine it will hold better than a rubber coating

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Never thought I'd say it in a thousand years, plastic dip. That way you still have the stock wheels if you ever trade.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A lot of people talk so much crap about plasti dip, I did my challenger wheels, held up great... Did my mustang with in the first week of having the car, still holding up great. I go to the local car wash and use the power sprayer on them, never had an issue. I know my car only has 1700 miles, but she gets washed every week or so. A the very least rinsed off.. Powder coating is great, but expensive. At the very least the plasti dip will give you an idea of what your car will look like if you do choose to buy new rims. What you could do is use you stock rims in the winter, put some good snow tires on them, and then buy what wheels you want for the summer fun driving.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts