Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the passenger side. The driver's side already fell totally off. Kinda frustrating and feels cheaply done, these shouldn't be falling off just because it's humid and hot down here in the South. Anyways, what should I use to glue these back on? The foam looks sketchy though, IDK if it will hold.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
It's likely that the foam is the reason for them coming loose in the first place.
I would mask off the door panel and spray 3M spray adhesive on both the door panel and the vinyl piece that fell off. Let the adhesive tack up, as per directions, and very, very carefully reinstall the vinyl in the correct spot.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sadly as has been said it's often the foam. Good time to dress up the interior with new fancier leather or suede though!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had this issue as well though I couldn't get spray adhesive to work for me. Granted, I only tried a couple different brands.

The adhesive really soaks up in the foam and makes it look like its just stretched over hard plastic. I wish I would of done more research or even talked to an upholstery shop first. Let me know what you wind up doing.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
60 Posts
Back in college (90's) I re-did the look of my door panels to match the color of the car and it turned out great and got lots of compliments. If you're up for it you just need 3M spray adhesive, new foam, and some new material of your choice (color, finish, etc.). If that's too much to tackle, just have an auto upholstery guy do it.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Contact cement? You'd still have to deal with it being absorbed into the foam, though.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I take mine to a Leather Shop. They told me that most people use the wrong Glue/Sealant when trying to fix and that makes it worst.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is the passenger side. The driver's side already fell totally off. Kinda frustrating and feels cheaply done, these shouldn't be falling off just because it's humid and hot down here in the South. Anyways, what should I use to glue these back on? The foam looks sketchy though, IDK if it will hold.

Thanks for any help!

What you end up doing?

·
Registered
108 Posts
A better idea and a longer lasting one is to go one Ebay and buy two used door panels. Depends on of you have the premium sound system or not? Mine is a basic model. So what I did is look on ebay for 2012 Boss 302 door panels. Bought a set pulled from a crashed Boss 302 and replaced them. The reason I got the idea is that I own a 2012 Boss 302, they don't come with the premium sound system. The Boss 302 door panel is fabric and stitched in, wont peel.

I wasted a lot of time cleaning those foam glue doors and they never stayed/looked the same. I recommend spend about $200 like I did and placed them with Boss 302 door panels. Expensive up front, but you won't have to worry about them ever peeling again.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Must be a base model thing. Mine are switched on, I have a Premium. :) .

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Here is a picture of mine...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts