Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2015 ford mustang v6 and recently installed new brake pads and drilled slotted rotors. About 2 days after i started hearing a wheel bearing hum while driving on the rear passenger side. Can be heard while off the brakes as a humming noise. While on the brakes it kind of turns into a ticking noise when decelerating. Ive already replaced the wheel bearing hub assembly. Still hearing the noise. Its so annoying. Took it to a shop and they said everything looks and was installed correctly, tires are brand new as well. Any ideas or helpful tips?

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
Have you ever driven a race car? (Hypothetical)
They are pretty noisy, uncomfortable vehicles.

There is a reason that most mass-produced automobiles don't come with drilled/slotted rotors. The manufacturers would be overwhelmed with customers complaining about their noisy brakes.
Most aftermarket modifications will increase the noise, vibration, harshness (NVH) of your car. It's as simple as that.
I suggest that you continue driving the car, and either the noise will lessen with time, or you will become accustomed to it.

Choose your modifications wisely...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recognize putting after market rotors on the car would produce a sound different than the factory rotors, but this sound is not your typical new pads on new rotors type of sound. It does not sound good and seems unsafe to me. And i only hear it in the one wheel. Why wouldnt it give off the same sound in any other wheel?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would you recommend going back to a flat surfaced rotor? Im just trying to prevent farther damage and a higher repair bill by avoiding the sound i am hearing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know.
I presume that all of the anti-rattle hardware was replaced, or found to be in good condition?
All hardware was replaced, greased with high temp lube, shims are perfect fit. Dust shield isnt rubbing, replaced wheel bearing hub assembly. Checked boots and axel. Everything looks ok. Im head spun trying to figure out the issue. Also no noise from the differential.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
Would you recommend going back to a flat surfaced rotor? Im just trying to prevent farther damage and a higher repair bill by avoiding the sound i am hearing.
I would do one more careful inspection of that particular caliper/rotor and keep driving it if nothing seems out of place.
If the brakes seem to work correctly, with no pulling to one side or the other under hard braking, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All hardware was replaced, greased with high temp lube, shims are perfect fit. Dust shield isnt rubbing, replaced wheel bearing hub assembly. Checked boots and axel. Everything looks ok. Im head spun trying to figure out the issue. Also no noise from the differential.
I thought maybe warped rotor, but if warped the sound would be in an out as the tire rotates around the warped side of the rotor. But the sound is consistent only changing while accelerating and decelerating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would do one more careful inspection of that particular caliper/rotor and keep driving it if nothing seems out of place.
If the brakes seem to work correctly, with no pulling to one side or the other under hard braking, I wouldn't worry about it.
What's more likely, is there is an imperfection with one ore more of the slots or drill holes.
Ok and thank you for the replys. The shop recommend driving for a week or so to see if it goes away as the pads seat and settle. I will provide feedback if the issue does go away with time. Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
No problem. I wish that I could be more help.
I agree with the shop's advice... Drive it for a while and see what happens.
Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts