Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after about 6 months after installing the American Muscle "hood spears" vinyls on my hood, one started to peel up.

Is there any way to fix this or are they trash? Is so, I probably won't buy them again. I've been careful not to hit them with high pressure water, etc. so I was a little surprised.

Thanks.

·
AmericanMuscle.com
2,878 Posts
So, after about 6 months after installing the American Muscle "hood spears" vinyls on my hood, one started to peel up.

Is there any way to fix this or are they trash? Is so, I probably won't buy them again. I've been careful not to hit them with high pressure water, etc. so I was a little surprised.

Thanks.
mmike87,

I'm sorry to hear about the Peeling Hood Spears. That sounds pretty odd, our decals usually last 7+ years without any problems. Is the car garage kept or is it in the Sun a lot and bad weather etc.. Either way they should not be peeling in 6 months.

Shoot me a PM with your order number and I'll get you a new set sent out this afternoon or a return, what ever you prefer!

Let me know what I can do for you!

-Dan

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
mmike87,

I'm sorry to hear about the Peeling Hood Spears. That sounds pretty odd, our decals usually last 7+ years without any problems. Is the car garage kept or is it in the Sun a lot and bad weather etc.. Either way they should not be peeling in 6 months.

Shoot me a PM with your order number and I'll get you a new set sent out this afternoon or a return, what ever you prefer!

Let me know what I can do for you!

-Dan
Thanks for the reply. The car is garage kept at home, but sits in a parking lot during the day at work.

I went ahead and re-soaped and re-applied the peeled-up portion vinyl yesterday after washing the car ... it seems to be holding for right now. Let me sit on it for a few days and see how it goes, if it doesn't hold I'll shoot you a PM.

I was kind of wondering if there was anything to apply to the back to make them re-stick ... certainly not looking for free replacements ... the vinyls themselves are still in good shape and look as good as the day I applied them.

I also originally posted this in the general forum as a more generic "fixing peeling vinyls" question and only mentioned the specifics to provide context. Someone moved the post to the AM forum for some reason. My comment that I "wouldn't buy them again" means I just wouldn't bother with vinyls ... I know your vinyls are generally well-regarded.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
if the paint wasnt 100% prepped or someone touched that spot etc it might have caused premature pealing as well.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
SpectorV said:
if the paint wasnt 100% prepped or someone touched that spot etc it might have caused premature pealing as well.
+1

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife and I performed the process, and of course we think :) we did a pretty good prep job - and they stayed on for quite a while.

As of this AM they seemed to be staying down ... I'll wait and see if it holds. I don't want to have to re-do them, I'd rather try and make these work. If possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts