Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People say if you remove the air silencer (cone) its the same as a cold air filter is that true? Our should I get a cold air filter anyway?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Anthony8994 said:
People say if you remove the air silencer (cone) its the same as a cold air filter is that true? Our should I get a cold air filter anyway?
If you remove the silencer the stock cai will baisicly become an aftermarket cai that doesn't require a tune , bbk ,American muscle's cai, etc. with the exception of the air filter, you would still have to buy a high flow filter such as a k&n.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not saying it will give me problems I was just wondering if it gives any extra power our is doing that enough or is the filter not worth buying

·
Registered
420 Posts
Anthony8994 said:
I'm not saying it will give me problems I was just wondering if it gives any extra power our is doing that enough or is the filter not worth buying
It made the car sound a little deeper but felt no power gains

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah any expansion chambers or sillyness in stock intakes are to purely muffle engine sound. It seems auto manufactures think "quite" cars sell better. By getting rid of such shinanigins will give your motor a more throaty sound. That's pretty much it tho.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The silencer does help some air flow, which will give you more power in theory, but it's just minimum. Most of our customers just do it for the sound and install a Airaid filter, as well. Also, I wouldn't say it's better then an aftermarket CAI, but with a stock Mustang it's a nice budget mod!

Shane

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Interesting. In the future I plan to change out my exhaust because I want a deeper sound for my car. But I don't have the cash right now. Anything else you can do to make your car sound better?

·
Registered
621 Posts
High compression pistons, nixing the cats, high lift cam, bigger exhaust tips(bigger than 3.5in), I think I heard LT headers alter the sound a bit, but not to sure.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Kingmidas87 said:
High compression pistons, nixing the cats, high lift cam, bigger exhaust tips(bigger than 3.5in), I think I heard LT headers alter the sound a bit, but not to sure.
Anything that I can do with a minimum wage budget? :D lol

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have noticed a slight note change in some cars that I have done the combustion chamber cleaner to. My buddy's Jetta had a deeper throaty sound but it prob doesn't last forever. Other than different mufflers I'm not sure what else will do it. I pick up a used flowmaster from a local shop and he wielded it in for like $20. Go to local shops and see if they have any used loud mufflers(flowmaster, magnaflow, thrush, cherry bomb, etc) for cheap and see how much they will wield it in for. I know they're not new but a flowmaster doesn't wear out, it's all metal. The glass packs wear out so look for a chambered muffler.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Interesting. In the future I plan to change out my exhaust because I want a deeper sound for my car. But I don't have the cash right now. Anything else you can do to make your car sound better?

Unfortunately, there aren't too many cheap options besides exhaust and a CAI. I think your best bet is to get the Airaid Filter or AM CAI and then just save for an aftermarket exhaust. That's what I would do if I was in your position.

Let me know if you need anymore help!

Shane

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
AMShaneLesky said:
Unfortunately, there aren't too many cheap options besides exhaust and a CAI. I think your best bet is to get the Airaid Filter or AM CAI and then just save for an aftermarket exhaust. That's what I would do if I was in your position.

Let me know if you need anymore help!

Shane
Exactly what I'm doing. Saving up for a dual exhaust and a CAI/bama tuner combo. Just wanted to see if there was anything I could do right now :D

I took off the air silencer yesterday and I was surprised. The hole was no bigger than a fist. How the hell could enough air get through there? I chucked that thing and now the hole is almost twice as big and I feel better acceleration when I push the gas :D

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I thought the little wire fence in front of the maf was the silencer?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
austinknoll said:
Nahh I think that's just a secondary filter. Once you get that out I don't think you can get one in again

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
nope, but that's a very important screen

Nahh I think that's just a secondary filter. Once you get that out I don't think you can get one in again
not exactly...the job of that screen is to even out air flow before it passes over the MAF sensor to give the ECU a proper reading.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Exactly what 1slosix said. The screen help the air pass uniformly over the MAF wires. Some people say that removing it does something but it really doesn't. If anything it will MESS UP your MAF readings.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
no silencer...K&N drop in...and using the factory heat resistant housing to guard from a lot of unwanted air...works for me :good:

and yes it's dirty lol..gotta do an engine cleanup soon

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Dgerow12 said:
DONt REMOVE THE MAF SCREEN
Oh we'll my maf is going to get messed up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts