Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright... I have a 2000 3.8. I just bought it and have only made a few engine mods. Next on my list is the exhaust. I bought a stock GT dual exhaust system (didnt want to lose low end torque for pipes being too big), but the tips are a large 3.25". I also bought flowmaster 40s, to get that loud exhaust tone. However, i dont want to install the system until i know its the best possible for my car. I need an x-pipe, and want long tube headers. I also need cats on the pipe to stay legal. (this is a daily driver). Can this combination, an x-pipe, high flow cats, and long tube headers be done on the car? I cant find a match im sure of. If it can be done, what brands should i go with? idea

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Yes it all can be done but a X pipe and long tubes on a are that is only 160 RWHP- HP is unnecessary. You will be loud enough with the 40 flowmaster. Long tubes are unnecessary until you get to 250- 300 RWHP, but if you find some cheap go for it.

So the term best is abstract. Flowmasters are amoung the loudest but not the best flowing. Dynomax Ultraflows, Magnaflows and Borla outflow everyone because of the flow through design. If you like the sound of flows keep them. your actual HP gain with the exhaust will be minimal until you do some engine work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, while im not supercharged yet, i plan to be. like i said, i just bought the car. i have a mac cai, performance crankshaft and camshafts, rolling rockers, diable sport chip, underdrive crank pulley set, steeda lowering springs, other body work, and i might of forgot a thing of two. anyways, this car has become quite a project for me. I want the optimum exhaust setup because of what the engine will potentially be when im done with it. still not sure of what combination of products will fit, though.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
why buy all that stuff and then ask if its the best... its like me going and buying a brand new 30k sports car then asking ok guy sis this the best one to buy?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wrong to refer to it as performance maybe. its a stroker crankshaft kit. its pretty simple. just different sized. it increases the distance the piston moves when it makes a stroke. increases displacement, and doesnt make a huge difference, but a noticable power up. relatively affordable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SpectorV said:
why buy all that stuff and then ask if its the best... its like me going and buying a brand new 30k sports car then asking ok guy sis this the best one to buy?
i havent bought all the stuff yet. i only have the part past the crossover pipes to the tips. i dont have an x/h pipe yet or performance headers.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
i wouldnt do either of those that you dont have cuz they are worthless and will slow you down and make it sound way worse. at least not until you have a built motor or something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts