Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to 5 spd performance and i was just wondering what gains i will see with i new clutch, i dont mean hp but what benefits will i get out of a performance clutch? and will i see any benefits on a mostly stock car?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Basically you can get a beefeir clutch for more clamping force to the flywheel.usually requires more effort too.... I wouldn't be worried about the clutch till you need to replace it but i would say get a short throw shifter, clutch quadrant, etc. I think Horse has a steeda quadrent hes trying to sell.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
the ability to NOT be able to feather the clutch (alot of spin) lol if your clutch is not slipping then you should not worry about it, if you get a really stiff clutch you wont be able to feather it to take off so you will wind up "dumping it" and having alot more spin/alot less control over the clutch as it engages.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
three stupid questions im sure. 1) what is a clutch quadrant? 2) what is a throw bearing? and three what good does this do?

QUOTE=SpectorV]the ability to NOT be able to feather the clutch (alot of spin) lol if your clutch is not slipping then you should not worry about it, if you get a really stiff clutch you wont be able to feather it to take off so you will wind up "dumping it" and having alot more spin/alot less control over the clutch as it engages.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The clutch quadrant is more for a heavy duty clutch, The stock ones are plastic, and after a while they bend causing inconsistant clutch engagement/ missed shifts. Just a little insurance if you get a heavy duty clutch or like to shift hard.
The throw out bearing pushess on the "fingers" of the pressure plate causing the clutch to dis-engage.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
well you know how on your stock clutch you can kind of ride on it as it engages you dont have to just let it out all at once, you have a kind of 2 inch area when letting in/out on the clutch petal that the clutch is not engaged/not engaged with an aftermarket you dont have that much area its very stiff and the clutch is usually engaged or not, no room to play really lol

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks guys. when i have driven 5 spd stangs i find having the ability to feather the clutch is not only fun but its like a safety thing when your in the show. well thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
upr or steeda both do the same job and work just as good, just make sure you get a firewall adjuster to take all the slack out of the petal or flop or what ever you want to call it.

if the petal is to high you can get an adjuster kit from maximum motorsports.com to fix it but you definatly want to take all the slack out of the clutch petal so its frim at the top and has half an inch of travel before the cltuch starts to slip/go into neutral.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
well i found thet straight from upr its pretty cheap so now i will get the quadrant adjuster and cable straight from them but one question there is an option for ten bucks more to have the premium cable is it worth it or is it just another way of getting more money out of my pocket

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
232stang said:
well i found thet straight from upr its pretty cheap so now i will get the quadrant adjuster and cable straight from them but one question there is an option for ten bucks more to have the premium cable is it worth it or is it just another way of getting more money out of my pocket
yes on the premium cable or no ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts