Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I've have experience dumping large sums of money into a 3.8. There is nothing that I did that really made a worthwhile difference, except suspension. Big money is required for a noticeable HP performance increase. Well, except nitrous. But I digress. Suspension was the only area where there were very worthwhile gains in handling. With your budget I'd personally grab a set of quality springs. You'd still have a few bucks left over to boot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've have experience dumping large sums of money into a 3.8. There is nothing that I did that really made a worthwhile difference, except suspension. Big money is required for a noticeable HP performance increase. Well, except nitrous. But I digress. Suspension was the only area where there were very worthwhile gains in handling. With your budget I'd personally grab a set of quality springs. You'd still have a few bucks left over to boot.

If I get springs is there any thing else I would have to get along with them?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
If I get springs is there any thing else I would have to get along with them?
It's would be smart to do shocks too. I prefer going with the fox body struts and shocks when lowering as they are shorter than the new edges. Also depending on how low you going camber will need to be addressed. And don't forget the alignment.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,187 Posts
I'd say getting a lower rear gear would help pep any Mustang up without engine mods. I'm not sure what options are available for the 7.5 (I think?) open diffs. I'm not sure what the stock gears are, but 3.55 or 3.73 are nice without blowing up your gas mileage. For the GT's, this mod is the best bang for buck mod.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Oh yes, the 3.8 will definitely benifit from some gear. They make lsds for the 7.5, but I'd personally do an 8.8 swap vs dumping money into a 7.5 axle.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
These days you're better off finding an 8.8" rearend. I don't believe FRPP makes the 7.5" tloks anymore so you're stuck paying $800 for an Auburn. Pretty sure you can get a whole 8.8 shipped for that.

I agree that aside from suspension gears are the best bang for your buck mods for under a grand.

Save up some more and get the SR coilovers or an 8.8 rearend. Or get an SCT handheld tuner now. If you're an auto the improved shift points and firmness will be noticeable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A couple years ago the 7.5 in my old V6 blew up so I took the opportunity to upgrade to an 8.8 with 3.73 gears. Scored it for $150 on Craigslist. Best mod I'd ever done to the car.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
A couple years ago the 7.5 in my old V6 blew up so I took the opportunity to upgrade to an 8.8 with 3.73 gears. Scored it for $150 on Craigslist. Best mod I'd ever done to the car.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I've been keeping a close eye on Craigslist in my area, sadly no crazy deals, if there are even parts available...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which one would you see the most gains out of as far as speed for the 3.8 99, a cold air intake or accel coil packs?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I changed out the bushings on The steering rack on ours. I think it cost me like 20 bucks or something and took like 30 min. It made a huge difference in steering performance. No more sloppy wheel.
As far as acceleration goes my vote is for gears. Even if you skip the traction lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Which one would you see the most gains out of as far as speed for the 3.8 99, a cold air intake or accel coil packs?
I agree with neither. If you have a $350 budget save another $50 and pick up an SCT X4 from Bama with custom tunes. It'll be the biggest noticeable difference on a stock/near stock car without diving into gears and suspension.

If yours is an auto the shift points and shift firmness will be very noticeable. The car won't be gapping Cobras but it will feel much better over stock.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with neither. If you have a $350 budget save another $50 and pick up an SCT X4 from Bama with custom tunes. It'll be the biggest noticeable difference on a stock/near stock car without diving into gears and suspension.

If yours is an auto the shift points and shift firmness will be very noticeable. The car won't be gapping Cobras but it will feel much better over stock.
What exactly does the SCT X4 do?

·
Super Moderator
17,861 Posts
Put that $350 towards some nice summer clothes and a gym membership. Drive your 3.8 as reliable transportation. When you can afford something fast, then get something fast. Even if you had $1000 you'd make your car "not quite so slow". Current sedans beat up on the 3.8L...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts