Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got my 2011 Mustang V6 and these are the parts I want to get for it.

Is this a good combination of performance parts or should I make some changes in the list?

Airaid Cold Air Intake (11-13 V6)
BBK 73mm Throttle Body (11-13 V6)
Airaid Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer (11-13 V6)
Ford Racing 3.73 Gears (11-13 V6)
Eaton Limited Slip Differential - 31 Spline 8.8in (86-13 V8; 11-13 V6)
BBK Chrome Long Tube Headers (11-13 V6)
SCT SF3 / X3 Power Flash Preloaded Tuner (96-11 All)
(i dont know about the tune tho if the right one)

·
Banned
8,779 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
i have a 2011 and i can say the airaid cai is very good. and made my motor and borla axle back ataks sound even better. if you want loud and best performance then you should get the borla long tube headers with the off road x pipe. instead of the bbk. and the 3.73 gears is the best way to go not to low or high. as far as the other stuff im not sure

·
Abominable Mustang
1,926 Posts
According to Airaid, their throttle body spacer doesn't fit when used in conjunction with their CAI.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Florida3.7L said:
According to Airaid, their throttle body spacer doesn't fit when used in conjunction with their CAI.
I have them together, the intake box has to be cut around the mounting part to fit properly! But I love the sound it gives my engine! Also, I have BBK Long Tubes, catted Xpipe (high flow cats), 2011 5.0 resonators and then Roush Axlebacks and my exhaust sounds deeper and louder then most 5.0's with full exhaust! My friend has the Borla LT Headers and his isn't nearly as good sounding as my car. Ur buying the brand name, just because they are rated best does not mean they are the best! Every company makes something better than others. But it's a matter of opinion...

·
Registered
203 Posts
If I remember right a bigger throttle body will only really see gains with forced induction, from another thread it sounds like its pretty much generally accepted that a throttle body spacers are just a nice paper weight, no real gains there, all 2011 and up mustangs already have limited slip diffs (Eaton might be a better though, idk). And finally long tube headers will raise the power band so you will have less low end torque, but the gears should off set that some, also depending on the exhaust set up it can be very loud and raspy, plus if u have to pass emissions you won't have cats anymore which will equal fail.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts

Is this a good combination of performance parts or should I make some changes in the list?

Unless there is a big difference between the 4.0 and the 3.7 the throttle body spacer is just something to lighten your wallet. I have not seen any independent testing that says they do anything worth the cost.

And you already have the limited slip - that is just the tlok that already is installed in your car.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
JimC said:
Unless there is a big difference between the 4.0 and the 3.7 the throttle body spacer is just something to lighten your wallet. I have not seen any independent testing that says they do anything worth the cost.

And you already have the limited slip - that is just the tlok that already is installed in your car.
The 4.0 and 3.7 are very different engines. One was used in mustangs since like 97 (3.8) and this one pumps out more hp and is overall a different style engine (twin interval- variable cam timing) I wanted the spacer but if your going with a drop in filter I would buy it, otherwise get the cold air intake.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Whitelightning said:
The 4.0 and 3.7 are very different engines. One was used in mustangs since like 97 (3.8) and this one pumps out more hp and is overall a different style engine (twin interval- variable cam timing) I wanted the spacer but if your going with a drop in filter I would buy it, otherwise get the cold air intake.
94-98 was single port 3.8
99-04 was split port 3.8
05-10 was 4.0
11- is 3.7

·
Registered
621 Posts
This 3.7 really makes power! I had a 4.0 and the 3.7 is much faster!

·
Registered
809 Posts
You have to think that the throttle body spacer for the 3.7 is going to be the diameter of the factory throttle body. Therefore, the Airaid Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer combined with the BBK 73mm Throttle Body is not something you want to do. It wont hurt your car but it will eliminate any gain you would have seen from the BBK 73mm Throttle Body. As far as the TB or TB spacer being worth the $, thats up to you... I would wait to do the TB/spacer last as they wont give you huge gains anyways. Airaid Cold Air Intake is a good choice, 3.73 Gears are good but you might want to look into how gearing really works, things like wheel size play a factor here.... The Eaton Limited Slip Differential is not a bad idea but you might consider going with an aluminum drive shaft instead if you plan on going over 120mph (factory shaft is not rated for higher speeds). Headers are a personal preference and also have to do with you overall goal, If you want the deeper sound and higher top speed/torque then long tube, the shorties will still have an aggressive sound as well and you would see more low end performance improvements. Honestly, I have herd good things about the factory headers so Im keeping mine stock, but maybe im just a dummy. You should really consider giving an axel back system a try if your after a more sporty sound, there are plenty of choices and examples online for you to choose from and some of them will give you slight HP gains. As far as tuners go, there is one choice that everyone seems to be going with.... The Bama Tune from American Muscle. You can get an Airaid CAI and Bama tuner as a package and save a good chunk of change AND Bama is offering FREE CUSTOM TUNES FOR LIFE when you buy from american muscle, its easily the best deal around. see the link for more details.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-intake-sf3-tuner-11v6.html

good luck!

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
fordmustangv6 said:

IMHO, I don't think the throttle body spacer works with a larger throttle body, and the LSD doesn't seem worth it, as the car comes with a pretty darn good one. If you had an older model an wnted a 8.8in rear end then I'd do it, but it just doesn't seem worth it. Also, don't forget a matching mid pipe with your headers.
3 things I'd add to the list
1 A new muffler (have some fun)
2 Suspension upgrades (dramatically change the way the car dives!!!!!)
3 if you're a speed junkie, then get a driveshaft and safety loop for safety reasons. And if its manual then upgrade your flywheel

Also, I know you said performance, but brighten up your exterior and interior, it'll change it from a good looking car to straight up eye candy.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
lowflyn said:
94-98 was single port 3.8
99-04 was split port 3.8
05-10 was 4.0
11- is 3.7
I know 99-04 and the 11-12 engines mainly. Nothing really more just the liters. You taught me something. Thanks man

·
Registered
964 Posts
Charlie_santos said:
I have them together, the intake box has to be cut around the mounting part to fit properly! But I love the sound it gives my engine! Also, I have BBK Long Tubes, catted Xpipe (high flow cats), 2011 5.0 resonators and then Roush Axlebacks and my exhaust sounds deeper and louder then most 5.0's with full exhaust! My friend has the Borla LT Headers and his isn't nearly as good sounding as my car. Ur buying the brand name, just because they are rated best does not mean they are the best! Every company makes something better than others. But it's a matter of opinion...
Got any videos ? I'd like to hear your set up . I got the CAI and Roush AB. But the headers and cats I'd like to hear.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Granted the 4.0 and 3.7 are very different

BUT

how does moving the throttle body on a drive by wire fuel injected engine give you a performance boost? It isn't like a carburetor where the spacer actually changes the length of the runner for the air/fuel mixture.

Like someone else said - putting a coaster under your beer bottle doesn't give you more beer, or change the taste, or change the flow out of the bottle. It just moves the bottle up higher.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
curtin1991 said:
Sounds good man. Did the resonators make much of a difference?
When I would really press on the gas my car sounded ridiculously loud! Too much rasp! So with the resonators it took off a lot of the rasp and high pitch noise so now it's a a lot deeper! But just as loud! So it sounds amazing!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Granted the 4.0 and 3.7 are very different

BUT

how does moving the throttle body on a drive by wire fuel injected engine give you a performance boost? It isn't like a carburetor where the spacer actually changes the length of the runner for the air/fuel mixture.

Like someone else said - putting a coaster under your beer bottle doesn't give you more beer, or change the taste, or change the flow out of the bottle. It just moves the bottle up higher.
The TB spacers for the 3.7 serves a different purpose here then on the 4.0's.
The TB spacer for a 3.7 is made to make air flow more turbulent as it enters the engine, most makers claim that this produces more HP. A number of us here are not so quick to agree or think the gain is so small it is not noticed, either way it's all personal preference.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
rebeltx said:
The TB spacers for the 3.7 serves a different purpose here then on the 4.0's.
The TB spacer for a 3.7 is made to make air flow more turbulent as it enters the engine, most makers claim that this produces more HP. A number of us here are not so quick to agree or think the gain is so small it is not noticed, either way it's all personal preference.
It's one of those mods that work better with other mods

1 - 20 of 30 Posts