Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a V6 3.9 2004 I've been trying to get the info I need but everything I read gets way off topic. I want my car's motor to have as much power as it can without nitrous, super chargers Ect. As far as Tunes do they give you the performance you need when you want to play and at the same time MPG everybody wants today if you stay outta it lol. I have installed a BBK CAI And plan on a MAC Cat back later, I'm not looking for a race car just a good running V6 Mustang and want to be able to drive by a few gas stations at the same time.

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
LuvStangs said:
Hey guys, I have a V6 3.9 2004 I've been trying to get the info I need but everything I read gets way off topic. I want my car's motor to have as much power as it can without nitrous, super chargers Ect. As far as Tunes do they give you the performance you need when you want to play and at the same time MPG everybody wants today if you stay outta it lol. I have installed a BBK CAI And plan on a MAC Cat back later, I'm not looking for a race car just a good running V6 Mustang and want to be able to drive by a few gas stations at the same time.
Look into one of the 4.2 stroker kits with head work and a good cam. As good as you'll get na

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you want a faster car and better gas mileage?

Don't think it usually works like that...
Ya, I'm well aware of that I'm not a kid, you can have some control over MPG with your right foot, I'm asking if a tune will make the car run better when I want it to, and get the mileage when I stay out of it. OR Will a Tune make it run better and drop the MPG. I'm old school Shade tree Mechanic Plugs ,Wires, Cap, Rotor sometimes points. I've never screwed with a cars computer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ya, I'm well aware of that I'm not a kid, you can have some control over MPG with your right foot, I'm asking if a tune will make the car run better when I want it to, and get the mileage when I stay out of it. OR Will a Tune make it run better and drop the MPG. I'm old school Shade tree Mechanic Plugs ,Wires, Cap, Rotor sometimes points. I've never screwed with a cars computer.
I think a tune is permanently installed on the car's computer until you install a new one. So if you wanna go out and cruise and go fast etc. you can install a tune that will increase your performance but probably hurt MPH but then you can flash back your stock tune or even one that is tuned for better gas mileage. I don't have a tuner myself but I think most people just leave them plugged in, not sure if you can change the tunes on the fly but looks like its just a couple key presses.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think a tune is permanently installed on the car's computer until you install a new one. So if you wanna go out and cruise and go fast etc. you can install a tune that will increase your performance but probably hurt MPH but then you can flash back your stock tune or even one that is tuned for better gas mileage. I don't have a tuner myself but I think most people just leave them plugged in, not sure if you can change the tunes on the fly but looks like its just a couple key presses.
Ok really appreciate your input, I think I'll just tune her up make her run good, put a Mac Cat Back on and call it good. Maybe check into the tune that gives her better Mileage, Just work on the curb appeal. I would love to make her faster but not at the expense of my MPG,

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
if mpg is what you're after a 3.8/3.9 is not the motor for that...20-25 is average for us and that's sad in the long run.

but mods to help with your mpg overall would be things like intake, exhaust, and an economy tune...plus a solid tune up

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if mpg is what you're after a 3.8/3.9 is not the motor for that...20-25 is average for us and that's sad in the long run.

but mods to help with your mpg overall would be things like intake, exhaust, and an economy tune...plus a solid tune up
Ok sounds good appreciate it. Thanks guys for the help, I'm learning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts