Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im hating these tires right now. im temps are in the 40's to 50's and i have zero traction. i only have 3k miles on the car too so they are brand new tires. anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well, depends on what you're trying to do.

I drove yesterday in 27 degrees in Virginia. I didn't have any problem driving "normally" ... that said, I had to pull into traffic one day last week when it was cold and experienced horrible wheel hop even with my newly relocated Whiteline LCA's.

But I really got on it hard. Driving normally I don't experience any issue, and have not had any issues on back roads even traveling at speed.

They are summer-only tires and don't offer full performance at < 50 degrees.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hard compound tire, they suck in cold weather. I would lose traction rolling in 3rd when the car was stock. Now that I have 600hp it's pointless haha. Bout to get some wide nittos but writhing for the perfect rim to pop out and hit me in the face. But yeah, these tires are terrible in the cold if you want to push the car at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
No trouble here either in Northern VA winter weather temps. Usually around low mid 30s to below freezing at around 5 AM when I go to work and take on or off ramps like my other sports car does during summer time, spirited driving that is.

I'm actually surprise how these Pezero's working well for me.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
normal driving is fine, but if i get on it no matter how much i modulate the throttle or easily stand on it, its just nothing but spin. im not liking summer tires.

·
Registered
453 Posts
normal driving is fine, but if i get on it no matter how much i modulate the throttle or easily stand on it, its just nothing but spin. im not liking summer tires.
I am debating whether I will get summer tires when these go ... not sure I ever push the car hard enough to need summer tires ... I'll have to do some research on something that will provide the best overall performance and value for me.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
The Nero IS an all-season tire. They are crap in every way though.

I'm making it through winter on the summer-only P-Zeros on my BBP. I parked it when we got a foot of snow and snowshoed to work. Other than that, as long as it's not 1/2 melted slush or pure ice, I'm getting around no problem with normal driving.

Gotta stick? Try starting in second gear...that's what we did back in the days of bias plies. Nothing could be worse than those things in the bad weather.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I never had trouble with the pirellies in bad weather, last year driving through snow and ice, this year mostly just driving in the cold. Yeah if you stomp the gas you are going to spin the wheels, but from a normal start like I drive when the car is cold, I have no issues.

Advice? If you are really finding traction problems do what I did last year when right before it snows, I took 250lbs of sand bags and put them in garbage bags then into the trunk. You won't have traction issues then!

I drove on solid ice at my old job when the parking lot got covered in it and had amazing traction. Was very impressed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya im on the summer P Zero Nero's. absolute garbage. sandbags, what a great idea. im gonna do this

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
ya im on the summer P Zero Nero's. absolute garbage. sandbags, what a great idea. im gonna do this
you really never thought to weight the back?

I guess as I posted in the other thread, having driven a truck for 4 years, it is second nature to weight the back end when you need traction for me and so when I had the stang it wasn't even a second thought to put weight in the back come crappy weather.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I didn't like them at all. Took them off at 12K miles and put on some nitto invo's. Much much better tire. In any season IMO.
I hadn't looked at those yet. I know I am going to replace my tires come spring, but I hadn't decided with what, but I am pretty set on probably getting Nitto tires. Heard nothing but amazing things about Nitto.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hadn't looked at those yet. I know I am going to replace my tires come spring, but I hadn't decided with what, but I am pretty set on probably getting Nitto tires. Heard nothing but amazing things about Nitto.
I love them. I have 5K on them now, and no trouble with little to no wear.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I love them. I have 5K on them now, and no trouble with little to no wear.

they are not really expensive either, at what about 180 or so a tire? not terribly much more than the pirellies. I also have to buy tires for my Tundra, so I am sure I can get a good deal buying 8 tires.

·
Registered
42 Posts
they are not really expensive either, at what about 180 or so a tire? not terribly much more than the pirellies. I also have to buy tires for my Tundra, so I am sure I can get a good deal buying 8 tires.
I paid 215 a tire, but i was in a bind. Didnt have time to shop for best deal.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Summer tires a just that... for summer. They become like hard plastic when temperatures get below 40. The compounds are designed to be used in certain temperatures. If you want performance in cold temperatures, you won't get them from your summer tires. I tried to drive through snow with my '11 WRX with summer tires. Even with AWD they sucked. I bought 4 snow tires the next day. Tire rack has some great write ups on different tires for different seasons.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm a little confused. Your title says, "Pirelli Pzero Nero...," which are an ALL-SEASON HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRE. If you have the Brembo Brake Package(and 19x9" wheels), then you are on the Pirelli Pzero MAX PERFORMANCE SUMMER-ONLY TIRE. They(and all similar Max Performance Summer-Only Tires) are not recommended for use in cold temperatures. Their performance is greatly diminished at these temps... compound gets very hard... ride quality gets pretty harsh!

With that said, this will be the second Winter I'm going through on the Pzero Summer-Only rubber. I know it's not the smartest thing to do, but I also know that any spirited driving is a great big no-no!

When Spring is near, I'll be replacing the OEM rubber with Summer-only rubber, again. Michelin Pilot Super Sport is high on the list, but I won't rule out other brands.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well, depends on what you're trying to do.

I drove yesterday in 27 degrees in Virginia. I didn't have any problem driving "normally" ... that said, I had to pull into traffic one day last week when it was cold and experienced horrible wheel hop even with my newly relocated Whiteline LCA's.

But I really got on it hard. Driving normally I don't experience any issue, and have not had any issues on back roads even traveling at speed.

They are summer-only tires and don't offer full performance at < 50 degrees.
I'm in VA as well, and I haven't had any issues driving normally on Pirelli PZero Neros all seasons, either. (We're talking about the all seasons, right?) I just need to be a little careful in the wet when I take corners, or else the tail might kick out. lol Ended up doing a little ice skating weeks ago when I realized the parking lot at my work had ice all over the place :p

I use my Pirelli PZeros (the stock summer tires,) in the summer/spring, and I wear the Pirelli PZero Neros all seasons in the fall/winter. At least that way, the summer tires will last longer.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I haven't noticed any change in ride quality on my OEM PZeroes, but even here in SoCal I have noticed the compound is not happy. Normal driving it's ok, but try to get a little spirited & traction sucks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts