Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it hold up under high pressure wash?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've heard of it peeling off after numerous washes. However, I never had that problem on my previous cars. Although I only painted plastic pieces and always put a coat of gloss on it.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Well don't hold the nozzle 2 inches from the surface. I dipped a c stripe, mach 1 hood stripe, hood scoop, side scoops, and spoiler and they never peeled from the car wash.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx guys.

·
Premium Member
14,477 Posts
Dipyourcar.com has done a video of how durable it is. If you put enough layers on to where it is a nice foundation then you should be able to take a pressure washer within inches of it no problem. I've had plasti dip on my truck for over a year now and even the edges haven't started peeling up yet, and it sits in the street outside right with all the elements.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Dipyourcar.com has done a video of how durable it is. If you put enough layers on to where it is a nice foundation then you should be able to take a pressure washer within inches of it no problem. I've had plasti dip on my truck for over a year now and even the edges haven't started peeling up yet, and it sits in the street outside right with all the elements.
+1

·
Registered
341 Posts
^^^ +10000 ^^^

Couldn't have said it any better!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had my plasti-dip on my wheels for almost a year now and never a problem. I haven't put the power washer nozzle to it. I'm sure you can strip it off with a power washer - Heck you can ruin your paint with a power washer too. Just be conscious of your plasti-dipped parts and you'll be fine. What's the worst that can happen - You'll have to spend time to replasti-dip but no irreversible damage.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Plastidip will stand up to almost anything... But I learned this weekend what it will not stand up to... A tire change. The machine that they load the wheel into to get the tire on and off rubs the edge of the wheel too hard and ends up peeling the lip. It looks repairable using paint thinner and touch up... We'll see soon enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Plastidip will stand up to almost anything... But I learned this weekend what it will not stand up to... A tire change. The machine that they load the wheel into to get the tire on and off rubs the edge of the wheel too hard and ends up peeling the lip. It looks repairable using paint thinner and touch up... We'll see soon enough.
Dang that sucks man

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
It's very durable and stays looking great! We used the product first in 2007 on my friends wheels and stayed on till 2010 so for 3 years it worked and looked great!

·
Registered
227 Posts
So I got the wheels off, used paint thinner to reliquify the scraped areas of plasti dip, let it dry and resprayed the impacted area. It came out pretty damn good and you can only see a patch if you're up extremely close to the wheel in direct light. Overall a good fix if you don't want to remove and do an entire respray.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Which gloss have you used on it ?
Sorry, but I have no idea. It's been a few years.

I know it was just a hi-gloss clear finish. Might've been made by DuPont. Got it at the local Home Depot, along with the plasti dip.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Sorry, but I have no idea. It's been a few years.

I know it was just a hi-gloss clear finish. Might've been made by DuPont. Got it at the local Home Depot, along with the plasti dip.
Its ok, I was just wondering BC idk if I should gloss the hood or leave it as it is. I Plasti dipped it Sunday

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Its ok, I was just wondering BC idk if I should gloss the hood or leave it as it is. I Plasti dipped it Sunday
That is a tough one there. It depends if you like the matte black on black look (like you have now), or if you want to get the hood to match the rest of the car a little more by putting gloss on it. It will be a little closer match than your current matte, but it still won't be dead on.

I want to say that the gloss helped seal and protect the plasti dip painted lip from the elements. I can't guarantee that, but I believe that is what it said on the can of gloss spray that I had bought. Again, its been a few years, so I really don't remember the small details.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Dipyourcar.com has a gloss plasti dip coating, but it has a lot of orange peal. I've heard that when you clear over plasti dip it has orange peal too. I haven't seen anything in person. I would leave I matte on the hood, otherwise it would look like you are just trying to repaint it an it doesn't match.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts