Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice you've sprayed it on. Say if you want to touch up a spot or something. What does plasti dip look like if you spray it over already dried plasti dip? Does it blend in or just look like total $hit? I know the stuff is cheap but im lazy and don't wanna peel it off and tape off again lol.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm pretty experienced with plasti-dip and I'd say that it usually doesn't look very well on top of already dried plasti-dip, but if you want to avoid redoing whatever the part is, tape off as much of the surround area that does not need painting as well and do quick, little spits of it. It won't look new, but better than it peeling off.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Doing my stock wheels next week, for the first time. I have spent a lot of time watching videos on dipyourcar.com but I still worry about my bolts. I don't want to gum them up, or my lugs. Any tips?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Oh, I will.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My recommendation for that is get a fair amount of painters tape and tape around where the wheel meets the tire. But don't make it snug against the rim and tire. You want to make the seal between the rim and plasti dip. If the tape is touching the rim it will form to the rim plasti dip, and when you try to pull off the tape you potentially can ruin the seal with the rim. So just make sure the tape isn't touching the rim, but tape the tire around the rim well. Having an exacto knife or razor blade might not be a bad idea to have on hand when removing the tape. Just to make sure that if it starts to come with the tape, it will stop. Also, don't be afraid to give it 4 coats and maybe even 5. I did 3 and my tires are holding up pretty well, but I wish I had done 4-5. Also, make sure that you shoot the plasti dip at the rim in all angles so that you don't miss any bond between the RAM and a plasti dip. The bond is the most important part. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I need to better explain something. Love the product plasti dip!

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
My recommendation for that is get a fair amount of painters tape and tape around where the wheel meets the tire. But don't make it snug against the rim and tire. You want to make the seal between the rim and plasti dip. If the tape is touching the rim it will form to the rim plasti dip, and when you try to pull off the tape you potentially can ruin the seal with the rim. So just make sure the tape isn't touching the rim, but tape the tire around the rim well. Having an exacto knife or razor blade might not be a bad idea to have on hand when removing the tape. Just to make sure that if it starts to come with the tape, it will stop. Also, don't be afraid to give it 4 coats and maybe even 5. I did 3 and my tires are holding up pretty well, but I wish I had done 4-5. Also, make sure that you shoot the plasti dip at the rim in all angles so that you don't miss any bond between the RAM and a plasti dip. The bond is the most important part. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I need to better explain something. Love the product plasti dip!
Index cards bro... put them between the rim and the tire, so much easier. Everything else you covered is spot on.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'll just peel it off sometime and redo it. Too lazy to mess with it this weekend

·
Registered
344 Posts
Right on!

How many cans should I be prepped with?

Also, how long do YOU recommend between coats? And the same for cure/dry time after the final coat?

Also, given my jackstand situation I MAY have to do one or two wheels at a time.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I usually hear about 4 cans does the job. 1 can per wheel. Maybe grab an extra can just to be safe. I haven't done my own wheels myself tho so don't hold me to that

·
Registered
344 Posts
I usually hear about 4 cans does the job. 1 can per wheel. Maybe grab an extra can just to be safe. I haven't done my own wheels myself tho so don't hold me to that
I'll probably play it safe. Let me know how you go, if you go before me.

I'll be doing mine next week if all goes to plan.

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
I've never heard that, i've heard that it usually takes 2 at most, hell i know someone who did his 17s and took him 1 can. Depending on your size of wheel, but i think 4 cans would still be too much for even 20s.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Mkolabin said:
Doing my stock wheels next week, for the first time. I have spent a lot of time watching videos on dipyourcar.com but I still worry about my bolts. I don't want to gum them up, or my lugs. Any tips?
Don't take your wheels off, tape off the brakes any extra that gets on the tire just peels right off. Much easier than taking each wheel off.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

Mkolabin said:
Right on!

How many cans should I be prepped with?

Also, how long do YOU recommend between coats? And the same for cure/dry time after the final coat?

Also, given my jackstand situation I MAY have to do one or two wheels at a time.
I did my stock 17s with 3 cans that's 3 coasts piece. I did a coat on the left front the. Left rear then right front then right rear then started back at the left front Bout the time you get back to it it will be dry.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts