Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay the spray can said 3 or 4 coats will cover it.
I'm on coat number 12 and still not done with my intake.
What am I doing wrong guys.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'm confused. Check out dip your car on youtube and watch him. You do an initial light coat, the 2-3 heavy coats. If you don't do the last few heavy, peeling it off with be a pain.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
obviously...you did wipe down the intake first with rubbing alcohol...?
you use traditional blue..or the new blaze blue.....

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

is it bubbling like mad and running off? what is your area temperature...needs to be over 50 air temp to work cooperatively at least in my experience...tell me how it acted the first few coats...

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
obviously...you did wipe down the intake first with rubbing alcohol...?
you use traditional blue..or the new blaze blue.....

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

is it bubbling like mad and running off? what is your area temperature...needs to be over 50 air temp to work cooperatively at least in my experience...tell me how it acted the first few coats...
I figured this out after spending 35 in dip thinkin it had gone bad. Put it in the fridge vent or floor vent and then spray a coat then come back in. That's how I did it last week lol but if not it just spits out in clumps.

·
Banned
610 Posts
Plasti tip melts at hot temp.. Good luck eith that.. I plastidiped the grills on my hood and it gets so hot that it melts and parts peel off

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Funny thing...what I have under the hood...is dupli color grabber green and rated to take the heat. Duplicolor old ford blue will match your grabber color...good luck and let's hope the dip like the 'kitchen'..but you did a great job...very nice!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
You may get lucky...but dipping exhaust tips (like mine) don't get the heat of the engine bay...
Have look at my pics and you'll see how the paint was used. Btw...same paint works great on the calipers ;)

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Whenever you are painting a black survace to another color, you should always use a primer first. With plastic, they sell a cleaner/prep spray, then primer, then your base coat color.

And all this is avalible for high temp parts. I think your blue intake tube is going to look poor in a few months.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
BTW....just tried the "Smoke" plasti dip on some items of my car. gives the appearance of tint on your 3rd brake light, side markers and such. the back end of Slimer looks a bit different now...LOL

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
pics in my album of the dipped lower rear bumper and trunk lip :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just ordered the painted one from JLT. Grabber blue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts