Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would seriously appreciate any type of help I could get. I bought a spray gun from Home Depot and about 7 14oz cans and well when I first sprayed it it came out like little string like. Anf on top of it not coming out right, the dip would come outt white or grey when it should've come out flat black. I tried my hest to tweak it and adjust it but I just couldnt get it to how it suppose to be. I was wondering is it because of the gun that I jeed to thin the dip cause its too thick or what? I would really appreciate any type of advice or fixes to this please. Here are some pictures the best I got it was to about charcoal grey but the texture was weird kind of like fiberglass

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Your not goin to get a real gun from Home Depot, order one from dipyourcar.com if you want a good spray gun. I did my wheels a while back but I feel to do your whole car it's best to do it in closed quarters. With the wind blowing and sunlight doesn't let the plasti dry properly

·
Registered
529 Posts
Did you do this outside? It looks like really bad overspray. If your painting outdoors and in an uncontrolled space do it early in the morning before the wind picks up. If there is wind the paint job won't come out good.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I used this makeshift booth with the sides wrapped in plastic to make a paint booth. Idk on a whole car, perhaps 2 easy ups. It kept the wind out and spray nice, but be careful of temps getting to hot if you choose to do so.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What type of plasti dip did you buy?
I bought black 14oz cans the ones with the peel back lid

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

Well it was just coming out of the gun really weird. It was like little hairs shooting out and it wouldnt come out smooth and tried adjusting it and wouldn't fix
It was completely windless this morning when I did it. It wasnt hot either so that cant he it

·
Premium Member
14,477 Posts
I bought black 14oz cans the ones with the peel back lid

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

Well it was just coming out of the gun really weird. It was like little hairs shooting out and it wouldnt come out smooth and tried adjusting it and wouldn't fix
It was completely windless this morning when I did it. It wasnt hot either so that cant he it
You bought the wrong stuff, you want to get the ones in the spray cans. What you got is un-thinned plasti dip, it is meant for literally dipping something into it for a rubber coating, not spraying. Sorry but you just watsted your money on that. You need the ones in the spray can. Or the gallon ones from DYC that come pre-thinned.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't I buy some kind of thinner or reducer so its smoother and will come out the gun better when i mix them?

·
Premium Member
14,477 Posts
You can but it still doesn't work as good as the pre-thinned ones. DYC even did a video and compared the prethinned and the other after they thinned it and it still looked like crap.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Theres some guy named Venemouz I believe and he dipped his car exactly same way with same stuff as I did but his came out perfect

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought sone reducer just right now from Autozone it has acetone and some two other types of it. Is the thinner the problem of why it comes out like hairs?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I really don't understand the physics of why it works. Just that the xylene does. I imagine that it has something to do with the acetone

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope the reducer I bought works better than todays spray. Would the tip size of the gun also be a factor of why it turned out like that?

·
Registered
118 Posts
It honestly sounds more like the consistency of the dip. Try it out on an old piece of plywood before shooting it on the car. Make sure the tip is completely clean too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright tomorrow morning I'll do a mix and spray and see if it comes out correctly
And you said a 50/50 mix? Because the reducer says 1/4 but thats for paint

·
Registered
118 Posts
The 50/50 was for the Xylene. If the reducer says 1/4 then start there. Test spray on something like plywood or whatever is laying around. You can always increase the amount of reducer if necessary.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts