Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ive watched a couple videos from dipyourcar.com and ive decided to dip it completely charcoal grey. I plan on making it grey with the mirrors trims cowl vent and rims black. Im ordering 4 wheel kits which would be 16 cans. Would that be enough? Also any opinions or tips wouod be great.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
ive always been able to see the flaws in the spray and the lines it makes, be careful you get what you pay for

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
ive always been able to see the flaws in the spray and the lines it makes, be careful you get what you pay for
Yeah, cans are good for small things, not the whole car. If you do it professionally with the spray gun it will come out way better

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Ya you're just wasting time, effort, and money... It's not gonna turn out the way you want it with cans
For something "reversible", get a wrap.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So itd be much better to fo it with the spray gun they sell? With the cans I was thinking doing one piece at a time like bumper quarter panel door so on.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

What is the wrap.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So itd be much better to fo it with the spray gun they sell? With the cans I was thinking doing one piece at a time like bumper quarter panel door so on.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

What is the wrap.
Don't do it is my advice. Doing a piece at a time is going to come out looking just like that. It's all about consistent coverage and "frankensteining" it together isn't going to net the result you want.

A wrap is what started the whole Plastidip craze. Wraps are vinyl, Plastidip is the liquid version.

Folks are giving you good advice here, don't go the can route because you won't like the result.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
if you no nothing about painting do not do it, unless you want to see why we said not to lol. Just trying to save you time/money/hassle

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you do it with cans you're going to have to do it piece by piece to get the results you want.
My friend did his and it came out perfect.
I know nothing about paint either but plastidip isn't hard to apply and you can remove it if it doesn't come out the way you want. Just make sure the cans aren't cold when you do it and do it in the sun.
You will have to take off bumpers and hood and doors and trunk to get it perfect.. It is possible to do with cans without it looking like crap. You don't need painting experience for plastidip lol

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

For something "reversible", get a wrap.
Reversible? As in being able to remove it? And it'll be back to normal? That's plastidip? Lol it does the same thing you can remove it no problem and it'll be back exactly how it was before you painted it. You can't make mistakes with plastidip lol I mean you can but they're fixable.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
there's a guy on MM that did his red stang in the matte white...had some orange peel issues in some spots but after a few waxings looks pretty good. guess it just depends on if you have the cash to throw around. a wrap would be the better choice but up to you how you wanna go about it

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just decided the cans because it was cheaper but now i think about it and advice I better not. And plus if the spray gun is reliable for actual paint might come handy in painting things later

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

I mean a plasti dipped car ranging from $250 with the spray gun is much much better than having $1000 and up paint job

·
Banned
610 Posts
You can do it with cans it will come out perfect.. just do sections at a time. Mine came out perfect with no flaws.. just spray 5 inches away

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
If you buy the gallon and gun it will be easier and less time consuming. If you can only afford a can at a time then do seperate parts at a time

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did body work for a custom painter doing pro mods for four years, "perfect" is definitely an opinion in the paint world. Spraying a little at a time will work but isn't going to cover as well or as quickly as spraying it. My opinion would be nothing in an aerosol can work without flaws. You need steady air pressure, the right temperature, and a clean surface just to make paint stick, there's so many other factors that make life easier when painting something but aerosol cans are about the worst place to start.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really dont have the almost 300 for the spray gun and two gallons so my better cheaper way was ordering 4 wheel kits which would come up with 16 cans. Me and a friend were gonna take our time on it, say two days on it, since hed dipped a couple things before and didnt want to rush it

1 - 20 of 111 Posts