Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of today I am plasti dipping my premium rims, grilles, and grille surround. Any wheel tips? I couldn't get tape to stick to the chrome for some reason so I'll use a sharp knife to cut the chrome edge out or not. Seeing how it'll go.

The picture is of three coats. I'm going 6 total.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Should look good man, but I think a gloss finish would go better with your car. Do they have gloss plast-dip? I haven't messed with that stuff at all.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have a "glossifier" by dip your car but I'm not going that route since he has horrible customer service. I'll just clear over it with rostoleum or something. The tape wouldn't stick to the chrome so I'm going to use a knife and cut out the chrome pieces.

Btw it bubbled in some corners? Can I leave that and patch it or do I have to redo the entire rim:/

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Whitelightning said:
They have a "glossifier" by dip your car but I'm not going that route since he has horrible customer service. I'll just clear over it with rostoleum or something. The tape wouldn't stick to the chrome so I'm going to use a knife and cut out the chrome pieces.

Btw it bubbled in some corners? Can I leave that and patch it or do I have to redo the entire rim:/
You can get some paint thinner and lightly rub it on the spot to try to smooth it out and then go bak over it. But if it's small just leave it because it will be impossible to see from 4 feet away.

·
Registered
164 Posts
if you want a gloss to it you can use tire shine just spray it on and rub it in i plasti dipped my bullitts and did this and it looks great. the only thing is you have to do this everytime you wash your car.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
you can hit any plastidip with a high gloss clear...it leaves a nice finish if you want gloss

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
1slosix said:
you can hit any plastidip with a high gloss clear...it leaves a nice finish if you want gloss
if you do that will it make it make it harder to remove the plasti dip ? or will it remove just as easy

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
if you do that will it make it make it harder to remove the plasti dip ? or will it remove just as easy
it'll still pull off but not as a sheet....but most people that dip wheels don't usually remove them quickly after doing it, and they like the gloss look over matte

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
1slosix said:
it'll still pull off but not as a sheet....but most people that dip wheels don't usually remove them quickly after doing it, and they like the gloss look over matte
yeah. i was thinkin of using something like a clear coat to make it glossy but didnt know if it would be a ***** to remove the day i didnt want it

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So....I am an idiot. I used my hunting/pocket knife to cut the chrome ring out. I messed up on about an inch section and now I have a scratch. I have to redo two wheels since one was done how I like but I was scared to mess up again. The chrome lugs help it out a good bit. Anyway, when taking it off I could tell where I didn't get it thick enough to peel in places and it kinda just stuck and was a hellion to get off. I just hosed it down and restarted.

Tire shine and plasti dip don't mix. My tires have a nice thick coat since I washed, wax, and detailed it Saturday. It just runs right off.

As for the bubbled areas, if something hits the dip, will it pop the bubble and rip it off?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: here are my finished products. Can you tell my front end is as wrecked? Lol

The rims have flaws but from 4 feet away and standing up you can't tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
They look pretty good. :good:

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The matte goes it an interesting contrast. But until the rain goes away this is how it will be till I can clear them over. This took 2 cans for 6 rims. 2 good the 2 bad so I re-did them. I think I was still a little too light on them though

·
Registered
903 Posts
if you clear them it becomes a PITA to remove if you ever go that route. I have used enough of this drug to tell you that if you want gloss, get them P-Coated, if you want to stay matte, just leave on the P-dip lol

if you ever have any questions about plasti dip just inbox me man, I will be more than happy to help you with any needs

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was a pain to remove it on the two since some spots were so thin. I just went over it and it looks mostly fine. 4 feet away is good. That's good talking distance since no one is goin to be really eye balling them.

·
Registered
903 Posts
you should buy my 20's I have for sale lol

they would look amaaaaaaaaaazing on your car
they can look like this

but when i graffi'd the car... this is what i did to them

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^ YouTube says he has horrible customer service. I'm not handing over my card for glossy paint in a can when I can get it with cash at a home improvement store. I'm old school in a new generation

·
Registered
410 Posts
Whitelightning said:
^ YouTube says he has horrible customer service. I'm not handing over my card for glossy paint in a can when I can get it with cash at a home improvement store. I'm old school in a new generation
Well never mind on that I'll wait haha I was going to order me some next week but not any
More :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts