Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving 40mph and lost power the engine runs perfect and goes in to gear fine but my top speed is 20 mph and in takes forever to get there. Ive changed plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, distributor cap and rotor, and ignition module. I even run the codes off a obd1 code reader. I also cut off the exhaust thinking it was a clogged cat. I'm really thinking its a bad torque converter what do ya think? Its a 89 mustang convertible 2.3L with the A4LD transmission. Thank you for your opinions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope trans aint slipping it would every once in awhile but not bad, I know that my torque converter is a lock in lock out style and I think its stuck in one of those positions but I'm not sure

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is one other thing u may want to check. Find out how much fuel pressure u r getting. U may have a bad fuel pressure reg. if u r not getting the right amount of fuel u won't have the power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fuel pump, and fuel filter are both new, and the fuel pressure regulator isn't very old but ill try looking into it. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's true but on another note trying to pull my car up on ramps today it just would not go the engine runs perfect until you put it in gear in try to take off

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok well then I would say its in the tranny. Have u looked at your throttle position sensor yet. Also look at your vac line see if u have a vac leak going to tranny. U may also check your fluid level in tranny and see of u have to much fluid in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well we pulled the tranny and changed the torque converter and its alittle better but pretty much doing the same thing. Vacuums are good and the modulator is less then a year old the car shifts fine its just struggles to get to the shift points and one sec its fine the next it aint it feels like there is some kind of blockage but the engine is still prefect while in park or neutral and even in drive on jack stands but under the weight off the car it struggles togo reverse seems good though. I dont know even one min while driving it is struggling and stiff but then it breaks free and is good but not great and then back to bad. Any ideas? The fluid level is good and where is the throttle postion sensor?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The t.p.s. is right on top of the throttle body. You might have to remove the plastic cover that is on the throttle cable bracket. The t.p.s. has 2 bolts in it and a wire harness coming out of the top. If you take it off, make sure you put it back on the same way. Maybe put a mark on it just to be safe. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i already found it but thank you very much and just to update everyone that wasnt the problem and my car is still broke down :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts