Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also noticed a difference after my rims were put on. It drove fine before. I have stock exhaust but it sounds like I have aftermarket. It sounds cool. It drive fine before but for the past two days the exhaust sounds way different, and Its not as fast! It takes longer to get going from 1st gear. Could it be that they smashed the exhaust when they lifted my car to put the rims on? Or could it just be my spark plugs? Its hard to describe what it's doing but my brother even noticed that it sounds and drives different. I took it to a local tire shop (Hibdon tires). The exhaust sounds deeper. It sounds like either too much air is getting through or not enough. I can't tell. But when I start out in first gear it sounds more like a tick tick tick tick and then it stops when I get up to speed and it does it in every gear until I get up to speed. Or maybe I'm just imagining it but I doubt it. Please help

·
Banned
2,223 Posts
sickV6 said:
I also noticed a difference after my rims were put on. It drove fine before. I have stock exhaust but it sounds like I have aftermarket. It sounds cool. It drive fine before but for the past two days the exhaust sounds way different, and Its not as fast! It takes longer to get going from 1st gear. Could it be that smashed the exhaust with the lift? Or could it just be my spark plugs? Its hard to describe what it's doing but my brother even noticed that it sounds and drives different. I took it to a local tire shop (Hibdon tires). The exhaust sounds deeper. It sounds like either too much air is getting through or not enough. I can't tell. But when I start out in first gear it sounds more like a tick tick tick tick and then it stops when I get up to speed and it does it in every gear until I get up to speed. Or maybe I'm just imagining it but I doubt it. Please help
Sounds like a busted muffler and clogged cats. But it's hard to be sure without seeing it in person

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I told my dad but he thinks it's an attempt to get new exhaust lol. But how would my cats be clogged? I haven't done anything to get them clogged

·
Banned
2,223 Posts
sickV6 said:
That's what I told my dad but he thinks it's an attempt to get new exhaust lol. But how would my cats be clogged? I haven't done anything to get them clogged
Just old age. They clog overtime. You don't have to do anything to clogg them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Texastboneking said:
Just old age. They clog overtime. You don't have to do anything to clogg them.
It only has 89,000 miles on it. So how do I go about cleaning it? Or fixing? It just started out of nowhere. I guess you could describe it as trumpeting or a tick tick sound when I accelerate

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
after driving a while at night pop the hood and see if the header is looking hot (orange glowing = bad)

if clogged you have to replace the cat, you can go to a junk yard and get a Y pipe from another mustang or remove/replace yours.

·
Banned
2,223 Posts
If you drive a lot of short range and don't really get the car hot it will clog up faster. And you have to just replace them. But usually your check engine light comes on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't care about the check engine light. I just want the problem fixed and I hope it's nothing major. And I can hear air escaping when I shut my car off but I think it's just the AC because I always have the AC on.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I think he's rght they just are destroyed. My cats are broken so I have a check engine light on and I only have 77000 miles. But I don't need catsfor the next year because then I have to get it smogged :( stupid California

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if I look at the cats ad they are pure black then I know I need to get a new pipe or replace it. Think I'm just gunna get a pipe for it and do it that way and hope it fixes it

·
Banned
2,223 Posts
sickV6 said:
I don't care about the check engine light. I just want the problem fixed and I hope it's nothing major. And I can hear air escaping when I shut my car off but I think it's just the AC because I always have the AC on.
What I was getting at is if the light is on you can get it scanned and it will give you an idea of what is wrong...

·
Banned
2,223 Posts
sickV6 said:
So if I look at the cats ad they are pure black then I know I need to get a new pipe or replace it. Think I'm just gunna get a pipe for it and do it that way and hope it fixes it
Mo. They will be blue and purple colored usually. And if you drive it at night it can turn cherry red.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
90 dollars for a diagnostics. Lol so I'm pretty sure it's the cats by now since everyone is saying it. I can't remember if my check engine light is on or not

·
Banned
2,223 Posts
sickV6 said:
90 dollars for a diagnostics. Lol so I'm pretty sure it's the cats by now since everyone is saying it. I can't remember if my check engine light is on or not
That's what I'm guessing from what you explained. But it might not be it.

·
Banned
2,223 Posts
Also if any of your front o2 sensors are bad you need to replace them. The rear two arnt important for the running part of your car. But the front two can mess up your air to fuel ratio. Causing problems

·
Banned
2,223 Posts
sickV6 said:
I think I'm gunna go with replacing the front O2 censors first and see what that does
I'd pay the 90 dollar diag. Your gonna spend more in parts and might not fix it. My .02

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's true. Now I started my car and let it idle for a few seconds. I put my hand over the exhaust pipe to check the airflow and it was fine. There was plenty of airflow coming out so I don't think it's the cats, but I also know that the airflow could be fine until I accelerate and then become constricted under acceleration. I have not tested it under acceleration yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts