Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'd say alternator bearing or idle pulley. It sounds like it need replaced asap. If its alt, check at night, I might see sparks. I had a Beretta that did that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it coming through your speakers?
No not through my speakers

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

I'd say alternator bearing or idle pulley. It sounds like it need replaced asap. If its alt, check at night, I might see sparks. I had a Beretta that did that.
I might just replace both it wouldn't hurt to replace it a 98

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't go on any long trips dude, that sounds really bad.
I had a video I tried to post it did you see it? And don't worry it just a project car for now fixing her up brining her back to life she just sit and I crank her up every now then

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Spray some wd40 on idle pulley and see if that works. I think its alt bearing but idle pulley cheaper.

You could take your belt off and turn by hand. You should be able to tell if its turning smoothly or not.

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's power steering pump for sure, check your fluid level. If it is full then your pump may be craping out on you or you have a bad seal and fluid is leaking out, they will make noise when the fluid is low so check that first.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's power steering pump for sure, check your fluid level. If it is full then your pump may be craping out on you or you have a bad seal and fluid is leaking out, they will make noise when the fluid is low so check that first.
Well thanks medicdave I will look into that in the morning and prolly just going to go ahead a replace the alt too it wouldn't hurt it is a 98

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well thanks medicdave I will look into that in the morning and prolly just going to go ahead a replace the alt too it wouldn't hurt it is a 98
Your welcome, I hope it works out for you. If that's not it then I'm not sure but it sounds like its running dry.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,197 Posts
+1 on the alternator bearing or possibly the power steering pump. You could check your power steering fluid level and add if its low. Usually when it's the power steering pump, you can get the noise to change by turning the steering wheel while the car is idling in park (or neutral w/parking brake on for manual tranny). It will get louder as you turn the steering wheel, kinda like when you revved the engine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quick way to tell take off the belt and spin everything by hand, if you feel one with a lot of slop or hard to turn like goes 30% around then gets tough theirs the winner.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I hears the video and im pretty sure ot sounds like the alternator diode is about to go. Also vaguely sounds like a power steering pump. And a small metallic grind like the water pump. If its the power steering pump it would make noise both reving the motor and while u turn the wheels on idle. But it sounds more like a alternator whine from my stand point

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Spray some wd40 on idle pulley and see if that works. I think its alt bearing but idle pulley cheaper.

You could take your belt off and turn by hand. You should be able to tell if its turning smoothly or not.
I would do this too just to rule out any pulleys do them one by one like for example idler pulley spray on the bolt by the bearing and see if the sound went away. Then next the alterator...since its much easier to get to than the p/s pump lol then so on and so forth

1 - 20 of 32 Posts