Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 convertible and get poor mileage. 80% of my driving is highway. I just pased the 7,000 mile mark. The car spends 99% of the time at or below 2000rpm yet I only get 20mpg. Is this typical? My code reader comes up empty. The dealer told me that was about right. The window sticker says 24 city and 29 highway. I can't believe I can't get at least 24. Any ideas?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't know much about mileage, but here are the few things I know. Most cars get their best mileage between 40-60 mph. Running your ac and alternator alot can kill your mileage. Having that convertible down can really kill it too. Your still in your warranty so maybe ford can do something for you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I get ~330 miles per tank and I drive it down to the "LowFuel" light everytime. So how many gallons are in our tanks? Divide 330/(x gallons - 1) and let me know what my mpg is.

Or just tell me how many gallons are in our tanks. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
i am gonna put gas in my car today, i got like 210 or so, at the 1/4 tank mark......i usually get 210 or so when i put 13 gal in, so i get like 17-18....w/e i got a lead foot. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
or, you can push your trip odometer when you fill up. then when you fill up again, take the miles you went and divide that by the amount of gas you put in. you know how they have the price and the amount used. just take that full number. that will give you your exact amount you used

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
94-98's have a 15.4 gallon tank

i get about 225 miles on one tank in the city, and like 300 or so on the highway. My milage sucks :(

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
when the low fuel light comes on i have 12.5-12.8 gallons left usually, i manage to get 290-310 every tank mix highway and city with all my mods. I would run injectin cleaner in it every oil change, fuel filter change, clean teh maf wires DEFINATLY, clean teh air filter, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE a K&N do the last 2, I went from 230 to 300 miles be fill up (on 12.5) gallons of gas....i average 22 mpg, i got 20.5 the last fill up cuz i kinda drove alot in town and wasted some gas :twisted:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I get the feeling that the manufacturers take a no-options car, wax it up real good for low wind drag, put a hundred pound girl in it, get up to speed on an interstate out in Kansas or some other place flat, hit overdrive, and click off two hundred uneventful miles. No speed-ups or slow-downs. No A/C blowing, no electrical drain on the system. :no:

Then they park the car at the gas station on an incline so they can't get as much gas in it and they figure the mileage to satisfy the EPA guys. Remember that they're saving the last American RWD musclecar when they do this. :shock:

However, I will still attempt to gain the magical 29 mpg promised on the sticker everytime I hit the road. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
BTW, I've got a little over 5000 on the odometer, and I've gotten consisten 21-22 mpg everytime I've filled up. Looking forward to a trip to Virginia in the spring to try to improve things. :headbang:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. I guess I won't worry about mileage. It sounds like I'm doing alright since I only drive with the top down. Time to focus on that supercharger instead!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
and why your named after me. As far as I know I have no little bastards running around this country.

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
Tin Kicker said:
I get the feeling that the manufacturers take a no-options car, wax it up real good for low wind drag, put a hundred pound girl in it, get up to speed on an interstate out in Kansas or some other place flat, hit overdrive, and click off two hundred uneventful miles. No speed-ups or slow-downs. No A/C blowing, no electrical drain on the system. :no:

hey now... whats wrong with kansas?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I went to see "RGR" the other day, got gas be4 i left, so that cleared my trip. on 10-31 I had 085250 miles on my car, (thats what i had when i got gas) took the trip, came back to Fishers (its a hour and 10min trip, at 80mph) on 11-1 i got gas with 085543 miles on the car, I put 10.9 gals of fuel in her.( My trip had 292 miles on it) that gave me 26mpg. Normal MPG for me is about 15mpg to 22mpg. (btw i have a 1998 ) so i think you get REALLY bad MPG. :headbang:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Okay, ZIMSTANG, bad choice of location. Maybe the engineers take the test car to Bonneville Salt Flats. I think everyone will be neutral with that. Besides, we probably ALL wish we could go there ourselves and bump the tachometer. I happen to LIKE Kansas...just TRY getting decent mileage in Alabama...all hills and hollers. :(

Yeah, down here the "hollows" or valleys are called "hollers" because you have to holler at the guy on the other side to be understood. Truly worthless trivia, yet somehow vital to the Southern experience if you come a-visitin'. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DropTop_Stang,

Sorry about the name thing. I joined the forum before reading any of the post. Consider me your evil twin from the other coast.

Ray

1 - 19 of 19 Posts