Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the mustang forums as well as a 1st time mustang owners....just got ahold of a 97 cobra, and just wanted to get a feeler on just how many ppl on these forums have a cobra of similar year to possibly swap knowledge on?!?!?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well shes got 134k in the odo right now, plan on doin upgrading the rear end as well as a coilover setup,replace the stock clutch and shifter,maybe change the rims out, then wait till she takes a dump,and then dive into building something really fun

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, but everyone knows that,plans never really work out the way we expect lol....i have a suspicion on my rear end......besides pullung the cover and checking myself, is there any other easier way to determine gearing?

·
Registered
529 Posts
A shifter is a must on these cars, the stock one is garbage and doesn't have any stops to protect the tranny. To check the rear end gearing, put the car in the air and see how many times the driveshaft spins for a single wheel rotation. Welcome the to the club btw!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yah, ive kinda been figuring that one out the hard way.....synchros are good, but really notchy unless you pull of constant perfect shifts.....,it kinda freaked me out at first when I would shift you would hear like a hard metallic click, easy way to explain would be if you leave the shifter in neutral and pull it left and tap it, youll hear the same sound....didnt think it was normal but my b/f talked his friend into letting me drive his cobra and it did the same thing......idk im lost, ive had a few different clutch types and transmissions in my evos bu never have I come across this, any ideas?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When the time comes and I pull my trans, is the t45 truly solid enough to consider rebuilding, or is there another trans to consider?

·
Registered
529 Posts
T/56 would be a great upgrade

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
T56 is a 6 speed so you'll have better gearing plus a stronger trans. Also 6th is a much better cruising gear for mpg.

4.30 gears with the t56 would be a good combo

·
Registered
159 Posts
96 Mystic Cobra lots o mods here welcome Cobras are the Schiznit!! Ask anything ur fellow motorheads will supply experience, knowledge and probly a good laugh ah hahaha!

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Oh have T56 installed w/King Cobra clutch and 4:10s.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! I have a 98 cobra. There are so many different trans/clutch options you can go with as you can see with all the comments. I went with a king cobra clutch, T56 trans, aluminum driveshaft, 4:10's in the rear, and forged rear axles. I set the driveline up for horsepower, but just never went as crazy as I'd like with the motor. Definitely plan on a blower or turbo for the future, as these 4 valves respond great to boost.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Say i wanted to keep my current configuration but am starting to get a lil second gear grind, would it be cheaper to pay a shop to rebuild it or should i just replace it.... how difficult is it to service the internals and should i even consider trying myself

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Say i wanted to keep my current configuration but am starting to get a lil second gear grind, would it be cheaper to pay a shop to rebuild it or should i just replace it.... how difficult is it to service the internals and should i even consider trying myself
When I had my gears/clutch/flywheel replaced at the Mustang shop, they peeked inside of the T5 tranny and inspected each (improperly named) disk's and gears, pulled what had wear and slipped in new ones for free.
-FYI-
The transmission uses Mobil1 ATF or Sycromesh synthetic fluids. The differential uses synthetic gear oil with FRPP friction modifier. (If you so choose to use synthetics to reduce friction, shear, parasitic drag, ect....)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im sry, i just dont see a shop pulling trans parts and just swappin out parts as they see fit just for free,even when your paying for a parts install already,these parts dont just slip in and out,and theres quite a bit of time and labor with tedious parts....hence why im even kinda iffy about doing it in the garage myself

1 - 19 of 19 Posts