Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my friend just graduated from Wyotech, and is NASCAR certified, and ASE (think that's it, hahaha, what a blonde I am) and knows how to do port and polishing now. I was wondering if we could do this if there would be any people on here that would want it done. I could get the intakes and then sell them to you when they're finished being ported and polished, and you can keep your's, or I'll cut the price and you can send me your's I guess. I could probably do the heads to. I know he can, but like shipping-wise. He would essentially be doing all the work really. Anyway, it may be a nice way to get some port and polish stuff done pretty reasonable. I would imagine since this is a board that actually knows stuff about cars that a dyno of before and after would want to be seen, and that's just dandy, we can do that. This will all take awhile, as we're currently in the process of rebuilding the truck engine. He just got back into town, and I guess he's gonna put the whole thing back together, which is pretty cool. I'll be there learning the entire way. He got a lot cooler when he went to college. Anyway, he'll make sure it's done right. So I guess what I'm really asking is would there be anyone on this board interested in it? We can port and polish any intake or heads as long as you tell us the specs on it, so I can find it around here, and get the work done... prices will vary with how expensive the parts are to find and ship and then a small labor/hour added on there, as no one works for free. This isn't saying you WOULD buy them, I don't expect any of you to jump without a dyno to prove they're even useful, but again, to gauge that if they were useful, how many would be interested in purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
jimmy_beaner said:
ok, my friend just graduated from Wyotech, and is NASCAR certified, and ASE (think that's it, hahaha, what a blonde I am) and knows how to do port and polishing now. I was wondering if we could do this if there would be any people on here that would want it done. I could get the intakes and then sell them to you when they're finished being ported and polished, and you can keep your's, or I'll cut the price and you can send me your's I guess. I could probably do the heads to. I know he can, but like shipping-wise. He would essentially be doing all the work really. Anyway, it may be a nice way to get some port and polish stuff done pretty reasonable. I would imagine since this is a board that actually knows stuff about cars that a dyno of before and after would want to be seen, and that's just dandy, we can do that. This will all take awhile, as we're currently in the process of rebuilding the truck engine. He just got back into town, and I guess he's gonna put the whole thing back together, which is pretty cool. I'll be there learning the entire way. He got a lot cooler when he went to college. Anyway, he'll make sure it's done right. So I guess what I'm really asking is would there be anyone on this board interested in it? We can port and polish any intake or heads as long as you tell us the specs on it, so I can find it around here, and get the work done... prices will vary with how expensive the parts are to find and ship and then a small labor/hour added on there, as no one works for free. This isn't saying you WOULD buy them, I don't expect any of you to jump without a dyno to prove they're even useful, but again, to gauge that if they were useful, how many would be interested in purchase.
Well 94-98 intakes are fairly easy to port and polish. 99+ are a little trickier. To know how much material you need to remove you're going to have to buy a intake gasket kit for pre99 and 99+. Also, to prove to customers that they should buy your stuff you should try to get some flow numbers and dyno numbers. I would have your friend practice P&P on some single port intakes first just so he can get the hang of it. Also, iI'm going to hope and assume your friend knows how to weld. If not, you might as well not even bother.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh, welding isn't an issue. :D.... all three of them do, like well enough to weld door skins

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
i would be interested, but not really in a stock intake, i would get a diffrent intake and have you guys port and polish it.ill see what i can come up with, as i rember rob greene has an intake that he is selling but i would have you guys port it. i would even think about heads.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, it's not gonna happen for a little while, and if you wanted to send a pic first, that'd be great. I'd like to get a ''practice'' intake just to make sure he's not blowing smoke, but the kid is VERY mechanically gifted, and did just graduate, so I'm giving him the benefit of my doubt here.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
i might be able to come up with a test stock upper intake for you guys, but if im a ginny pig can i get a break on the price?

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and does that mean you'd be selling your intake? :D

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
no prolly not, b/c then i cant drive my car for a long time while you learn to port, but i can get an upper and a lower from my friends car who just wrecked and is parting it out.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I meant after you got the new stuff back ;), but yeah, you'd absolutely get a break in price. shipping twice and then quite a little amount for work really. But if it's done well, you gotta put in a good word :D

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
jimmy_beaner said:
I meant after you got the new stuff back ;), but yeah, you'd absolutely get a break in price. shipping twice and then quite a little amount for work really. But if it's done well, you gotta put in a good word :D
ok yea i would sell you mine once i install the ported one, and i will deff. put in a good word if it all works out.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good deal. I hear the heads are harder than the intake, but he didn't at all seem worried about doing heads.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
ill prolly wait on the heads, and for heads i deff dont want a stock ported heads. but ill still come to you for porting.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yay, we have to finish this truck engine before we can P&P anything though.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
ill prolly send u a set of 3 avj heads and u can port those. so between ported intakes/heads/ and a cam i should be looking at some nice hp, and i can give you dynos of the comb as advertisment. i guess we should have done this though pms. gl with you 4.6 from your truck and get it done so i can send you an upper and lower.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol, we had the entire engine dry fit together without torqueing bolts down just for fun, and it didn't take very long at all. We're still waiting on gaskets :(... but it shouldn't take us that long.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how 'bout this oaktonarcher, there won't be a cost for doing it and in exchange you pay shipping and 'give' us the intake off your car after you install the new one. We'll go ahead and buy a set of head gaskets for it when it comes in to use to mark it off and be on our way. How's that sound?

to 232stang, oaktonarcher was going to provide a dyno sheet, and I would have to talk to my friend about a price. The fact that I won't have to buy any tools really helps. That and he's already got the book, and taken the course in it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got an extra set of upper/lower intakes for my 97 that are just sitting around waiting to get p/p'd.

Since they're extra, I'm in no rush. Let me know if you're still looking for guinea pigs

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
constantly man... my partner wasn't sure he wanted to do the trade thing, so it may be a small fee for him to be happy, but yeah. Umm, we've got half the engine together actually. Did that last night. The hardest part is going to be making sure the right bolts are in the right holes, since all the bolts were in one box. yeah. I believe we've found the 16 oil pan bolts, that'll go on tonight. We've got the heads on, timing chains, sprokets and all that, the front cover, intake, throttle body.... we still need the valve covers (18 bolts) and just a bunch of little stuff along with a lot of pullies. We've got no idea where the valve cover bolts are. We can't find 18 bolts that are the same. But yeah, all that stuff is on all to torque specs. Engine looks good.... and quite powerful.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
jimmy_beaner said:
how 'bout this oaktonarcher, there won't be a cost for doing it and in exchange you pay shipping and 'give' us the intake off your car after you install the new one. We'll go ahead and buy a set of head gaskets for it when it comes in to use to mark it off and be on our way. How's that sound?

to 232stang, oaktonarcher was going to provide a dyno sheet, and I would have to talk to my friend about a price. The fact that I won't have to buy any tools really helps. That and he's already got the book, and taken the course in it.
sounds good to me, ill have to wait for a dyno day tho.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts