Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get my wheels powder coated black but I was wondering about the durability. I have had them Plasti dipped for awhile now and they held pretty good until I got my new tires put on. The mount and balancer took off all the Plasti dip around the edges which wasn't that big of a surprise, but would this happen with powder coated wheels? Any advice or experience is appreciated!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Powder coating is done on alot of wheels from the factory as well. My Brembo wheels were actually powder coated as they came, and I stripped them and had them done in Satin black. Powder coating is the standard nowadays for many parts that are exposed to harsh environment. Whoever mounts the tires, just needs to use caution, when mounting the tires to avoid damaging the finish. My friends put mine on without so much as a scuff on the wheels, at his tire shop.

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
My brother has his wheels powder coated on his BMW and its durable, he also has gotten new tires on em. I would highly reccomend getting them done.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am looking to get my wheels powder coated black but I was wondering about the durability. I have had them Plasti dipped for awhile now and they held pretty good until I got my new tires put on. The mount and balancer took off all the Plasti dip around the edges which wasn't that big of a surprise, but would this happen with powder coated wheels? Any advice or experience is appreciated!!
I think pc holds up extremely well. I don't have anything on my car pc'd, but most of my bike was pc'd including the pegs. Figured if my boots can be on there for hours and hours (and hours and hours and hours) without anything wearing off from the friction, parts that won't get direct "contact" other than wind and the occasional rock should last longer.

Here's my baby.

image-3688620257.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so the shop I was going to take my wheels to for powder coating need the wheels naked, does anyone have any ideas on a DIY method of mounting and balancing tires? Or at least a cheap way to get it done?

·
Registered
231 Posts
If their was an easy DIY I would have done mine. I was fortunate to have friends with a tire shop remove mine, and even then it was a bit of a PIA, because of the size of the wheel and tire. It's best to let this for the people with the right equipment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts