Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put subs in my 89 notch and have heard good things about the Power Acoustik Mofo's and the Kicker Comps. Any opinions?

·
Registered
130 Posts
You cannot compare a Kicker Comp, Kicker's cheapest sub, to a Mofo, which is Power Acoustik's top of the line sub. Look into Memphis, and Diamond Audio. Two great companies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard that even though the mofo is powerful, the quality isn't that great. And I know kicker stuff is pretty good so that's why I was comparing them. But thanks, ill check them out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've had 2 kicker comp 12s in my stang for a year now and still love them. They sound clean and you can get them really loud of you would like. Overall the quality of sound I give a 9 out of 10

·
Registered
566 Posts
2.3Foxbody said:
I want to put subs in my 89 notch and have heard good things about the Power Acoustik Mofo's and the Kicker Comps. Any opinions?
Two kicker solo baricks ( 10 inch) drop them to 2ohms ( they are square subs). I have them with my 1500 watt amp and dropped my windows wright off the track :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slp_loudmouth said:
Two kicker solo baricks ( 10 inch) drop them to 2ohms ( they are square subs). I have them with my 1500 watt amp and dropped my windows wright off the track :D
How much were they?!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I heard that even though the mofo is powerful, the quality isn't that great. And I know kicker stuff is pretty good so that's why I was comparing them. But thanks, ill check them out.
Kicker was once a great procuct. But now that they are going to be in Wal-Mart, they've cheapened their equipment up big time. Kicker is not "better" than Power Acoustik these days, they just rate their equipment differently. When choosing good quality Audio equipment, take your time, and do not skimp in one area. Your sound is only as good as the weakest link. Contrary to popular opinion, everything in your sound system makes a difference. I would keep away from Kicker for a while. Go to Diamondaudio.com and locate a dealer, same for Memphis Audio. I am not saying to go with this equipment, it's just that they are very protected lines, and the dealers that sell them will be better businesses, and have better lines, and probably would give you the best advice. After 22 years, thousands of trophies, awards, and titles, I think I do know this stuff inside and out. Although i have graduated to building entire cars, I am still an audi/video man, and everyone has an opinion on it. Trust me, finding the answer to an audio question on a forum, is going to be like asking who likes what brand of soft drink. Find a reputable shop in your area, that sells protected equipment. All this crap that is sold wholesale over the internet is not as good as people think. Once it is wholesale spread, the quality has decreased greatly, and that is WHY it is sold out like that. Trust me, take advice from some one who does it for a living, a hobby, and has one of these: :eek:

My facebook albums are also public (Aaron Diesel), so that people can see the cars I build. Just so you know my credentials are legit, and that I am one of less than 100 people in the United States that passed the MECP Master Tech Test.

Sorry for the quality, but that was hastily taken with a cell phone. Anyway, my point is, there's a ton of equipment out there, there's even more opinions, if you combine them both together, you can get confused, and end up unhappy with your spending.

Again, make sure to find a reputable shop, not best buy, or some big chain, the quality of service will not be there. Find a true car audio shop. A real shop will only have 3 or 4 lines, but they will be good lines, they will be up on their product knowledge, and will have experience with the product. Also, most good companies will not warranty their equipment unless it is purchased from a authorized dealer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
:good: great info!

I am subscribed to your companies FB page! Wish you were a little closer to me. Orlando isn't far but it's not exactly close
Thanks! You can always call if you need anything. ME Members will get free shipping!

·
Registered
801 Posts
I would go with kicker

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

WtFDiesel said:
Kicker was once a great procuct. But now that they are going to be in Wal-Mart, they've cheapened their equipment up big time. Kicker is not "better" than Power Acoustik these days, they just rate their equipment differently. When choosing good quality Audio equipment, take your time, and do not skimp in one area. Your sound is only as good as the weakest link. Contrary to popular opinion, everything in your sound system makes a difference. I would keep away from Kicker for a while. Go to Diamondaudio.com and locate a dealer, same for Memphis Audio. I am not saying to go with this equipment, it's just that they are very protected lines, and the dealers that sell them will be better businesses, and have better lines, and probably would give you the best advice. After 22 years, thousands of trophies, awards, and titles, I think I do know this stuff inside and out. Although i have graduated to building entire cars, I am still an audi/video man, and everyone has an opinion on it. Trust me, finding the answer to an audio question on a forum, is going to be like asking who likes what brand of soft drink. Find a reputable shop in your area, that sells protected equipment. All this crap that is sold wholesale over the internet is not as good as people think. Once it is wholesale spread, the quality has decreased greatly, and that is WHY it is sold out like that. Trust me, take advice from some one who does it for a living, a hobby, and has one of these: :eek:

My facebook albums are also public (Aaron Diesel), so that people can see the cars I build. Just so you know my credentials are legit, and that I am one of less than 100 people in the United States that passed the MECP Master Tech Test.

Sorry for the quality, but that was hastily taken with a cell phone. Anyway, my point is, there's a ton of equipment out there, there's even more opinions, if you combine them both together, you can get confused, and end up unhappy with your spending.

Again, make sure to find a reputable shop, not best buy, or some big chain, the quality of service will not be there. Find a true car audio shop. A real shop will only have 3 or 4 lines, but they will be good lines, they will be up on their product knowledge, and will have experience with the product. Also, most good companies will not warranty their equipment unless it is purchased from a authorized dealer.
All because there in walmart doesnt mean there cheap theres different grades like sony and poineer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That is true, there will be one line that will be dealer only. But anyone with any car audio experience will tell you that Kicker has continuously degraded their amplifiers over the last 10 years. Their warranty rates are stupid, and they continue to degrade equipment quality to offset costs.

·
Registered
801 Posts
WtFDiesel said:
That is true, there will be one line that will be dealer only. But anyone with any car audio experience will tell you that Kicker has continuously degraded their amplifiers over the last 10 years. Their warranty rates are stupid, and they continue to degrade equipment quality to offset costs.
Kicker amps do suck but every company has its downs

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm not a fan of kicker but I was very impressed by a 2 12" CompVR and DX1000.1 in a ported box set up I've seen in a wrangler. It was one of the loudest things I've heard.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm not a fan of kicker but I was very impressed by a 2 12" CompVR and DX1000.1 in a ported box set up I've seen in a wrangler. It was one of the loudest things I've heard.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oh no, nothing negative lol.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I agree with you that it's cheep and low grade. But it dose not sound terrible for what it is. And if you spend the $$ to get it all covered by geek squad for 4 years at best buy you can thrash the s*** out of it and have them replace if you blow a sub. I know people who have gone through 4 Polk DXI's for the original price plus $18 for the new coverage. Just wish they had a better selection of subs. I fried a type R and had to replace it my self.

I have a square MTX thunder I picked up new for to cheap to pass up. Think I saw some ware you said you don't like square subs but what are your thoughts on MTX?

·
Registered
130 Posts
The MTX Squares are a nicer sub than the kickers. They manage to salvage some sound quality. The enclosures for them are small also, the ten inch needs 1 cubic foot sealed, and 1.5 ported with a 2x12x20.5 port. The 12" needs 1.3 sealed and 2.2 ported with a 2x14x16.75 port. I would opt for the ported box if the size management is not too much of an issue. Make sure you feed them some power too...the ts85 series 10 needs 600-1200 watts, the 12 is 750-1500. If you have the ts55 series, the 10 needs 450-900 and the 12 is 600-1200. Find something in the middle of the ranges of those ratings. Contrary to popular opinion, underpowering a speaker will blow it faster than overpowering. Too little power causes distortion, which in turn causes thermal overload, and loss of control on the voice coil and motor structure. Distortion, under powering, and over excursion (usually caused by box issues and crossover settings) are the leading causes of speaker failure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts