Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 91 GT and have been having power steering problems. A little about what has happened and been done: Ok so i bought this car in Nov '10. The instant i bought it i noticed the all ao familiar whinning and groaning of the power steering pump. So i figured i would get 1 step ahead and change the pump, the fluid and the hoses. I bled any and all air out of the system and believe it or not.....same thing. Nothing has changed. Just as loud as ever. So i drain the fluid again, use synthetic oil....same results. It steers fine, no problem with the power part just that God-awful groan/whinning. The power steering system has no leaks at all. What the hell is the problem? Any solutions? I talked to a couple of people on here and some say, 'get over it, its a foxbody mustang'. Others have said,' dont onow what you are talking about...never had this problem'. So any and all help would be appreciated

·
Registered
269 Posts
Maybe i have the holy grail of power steering pumps. Il start the bidding at 1 million dollars
Pawnstars ”I got a buddy that specializes in power steering pumps. Let me give him a call and see what he thinks; maybe there money to be made”. Haha

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I assumed it would be something as to where it cant be fixed. But all is well. Had a Ford dealership mechanic tell me that the designer of that particular steering pump should be kicked in the nuts lol

·
Registered
269 Posts
So rule of thumb, if your original p.s. pump still works, dont replace it? when I replaced my water pump the other day I noticed alot of backlash on my p.s. pump pulley however it still works fine and its relatively quiet. Also when you guys are talking about how loud the pumps are, are you purely talking about the p.s. groan?

·
Banned
422 Posts
dreamstang said:
Just a thought. Have you checked alignment of the pulley. I had to shim some pump on these things because the new one didn't line up.
+1. I had to shim one on a 2.3l ranger, no groan but the belt squealed pretty bad and kept popping off, turned out it was about 1/4" too far back

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks everyone. I also had another guy tell me to check the belt tensioner. Question is, how do u know??? Belt seems tight and tensioner seems fine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts