Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is recommended when it comes to engine oil in the 13' 5.0 non trackpack? I've heard everything from 5w-20 to 5w-50, and syn blend to full synthetic.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Clean oil has never done me wrong.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Owner's manual is usually pretty accurate. Or, take a look at the fill cap.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm confident your car will be fine with either type. Other than a small hp gain from the slipperiness of synthetic, car manufacturers use and recommend synthetics mainly for EPA and MPG reasons. Using synthetic requires less frequent oil changes, and you're not polluting our air and water as much, 'n stuff... ;)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm confident your car will be fine with either type. Other than a small hp gain from the slipperiness of synthetic, car manufacturers use and recommend synthetics mainly for EPA and MPG reasons. Using synthetic requires less frequent oil changes, and you're not polluting our air and water as much, 'n stuff... ;)
Good info. Synthetics also flow easier and promote less friction, giving slightly better fuel mileage for that reason.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I use Agip aka ENI. Recommended for exotics, italian company, oil is very rich and you can feel the quality in your hands.

·
Registered
109 Posts
5w-20 synthetic is best in my opinion where i live, royal purple is good, but tbh castrol is great

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Hopefully ozzy will kick in but he put 5w50 in his non track pack and the sound from the engine was horrible. He is the one that can explain a little better what happen. Just put 5w20 full synthetic and it will be fine.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
5w-20 synthetic is best in my opinion where i live, royal purple is good, but tbh castrol is great
What are the scientific standard #'s or units of measurement to meet the levels of "best", "good", and "great"?

·
Registered
109 Posts
What are the scientific standard #'s or units of measurement to meet the levels of "best", "good", and "great"?
Eh just my personal opinion and also, i go to uti in houston (auto/diesel tech school) and were taught 5w20 is best for the general area.

·
Registered
453 Posts
This is a high performance engine. It deserves a "true" 100% synthetic oil, IMO.

The brand is probably not important provided it meets the required standards. People will argue all day about how their uncle ran "whatever" for 500,000 miles in their "whatever" with no problems.

Any weight from 5w20 to 5w50 is fine. Higher weights if you live in hot areas, drive hard, or track your car. There is no difference in the engines themselves with track pack cars - that is VERY well established. The 5w50 suggestion for track pack cars is based on intended use.

Running a higher weight oil for no reason other than "because" will likely reduce fuel economy a little. But it's not going to hurt your engine.

Plenty of people have heard noises from their engine after changing out 5w20, too ...

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
This is a high performance engine. It deserves a "true" 100% synthetic oil, IMO.

The brand is probably not important provided it meets the required standards. People will argue all day about how their uncle ran "whatever" for 500,000 miles in their "whatever" with no problems.

Any weight from 5w20 to 5w50 is fine. Higher weights if you live in hot areas, drive hard, or track your car. There is no difference in the engines themselves with track pack cars - that is VERY well established. The 5w50 suggestion for track pack cars is based on intended use.

Running a higher weight oil for no reason other than "because" will likely reduce fuel economy a little. But it's not going to hurt your engine.

Plenty of people have heard noises from their engine after changing out 5w20, too ...
This.

And I'm running Amsoil 10w-30

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm just running Mobil 1 5w20 in this car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts