Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My BF has a 2014 mustang. I wanted to be a good GF and ran his car thru emissions testing for him and renewed his plates and filled his tank (he works 3rd shift so he deserves to be pampered as best as I can). I put in 87 unleaded, but he said that his car only takes premium 93 or the engine will knock and then shut down while he is driving. Is that true??

·
Registered
168 Posts
If it has a tune for 93 octane it might. He needs to return it to stock until the tank is empty.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Since this car just passed emissions testing, I'm going to presume that it does not have any modifications that would preclude the use of low octane gasoline.
As a matter of fact, I can't think of any factory Mustang engines, ever produced, that won't survive an occasional tank of 87 octane fuel, much less, a steady diet of it.

So I say "Not true".

·
Registered
336 Posts
The recommended minimum octane for a 5.0 coyote motor is 87 octane. So unless as previously mentioned it has been tuned for 93 octane 87 is perfectly fine and since there is so little difference in power between 87 & 93 in a stock motor you will find most folks run 87 all the time.

Even if it is tuned he just needs to keep his foot out of it for a tank of gas.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My BF has a 2014 mustang. I wanted to be a good GF and ran his car thru emissions testing for him and renewed his plates and filled his tank (he works 3rd shift so he deserves to be pampered as best as I can). I put in 87 unleaded, but he said that his car only takes premium 93 or the engine will knock and then shut down while he is driving. Is that true??
Thank you everyone. He went and bought some octane-something-or-other from Wal-Mart and he said that it would be fine. I think I was harder on myself than he was. Lesson learned. 93 from here on out. I am not likely to forget again. 👍🏻🏎

·
Registered
336 Posts
The octane booster from Walmart is useless. When they say on the bottle it will raise the octane 5 points what they mean is it will raise from .5 of an octane number or 87.0 to 87.5.

Sounds like you boy friend needs some automotive education, tell him to join this forum, lots of good information.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The octane booster from Walmart is useless. When they say on the bottle it will raise the octane 5 points what they mean is it will raise from .5 of an octane number or 87.0 to 87.5.

Sounds like you boy friend needs some automotive education, tell him to join this forum, lots of good information.

(y)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I've read Boostane Pro and Torco are good octane boosters. I've never used any octane booster......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts