Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - I just bought a 2015 Mustang GT PP from a dealer in Louisiana and had it shipped here. The car is in mint condition with only 7,800 miles and lots of great tread on the original Pirelli tires. Coming from Louisiana I would expect the car was rarely driven in colder temperatures. I'm in Illinois and the temps are dipping below the recommended 40 degrees for driving the car. I've only taken it out a few times while the temps were in the 40s. I recently noticed low pressure on the rear driver tire and aired it up. Today I noticed the same thing on the same tire. I took it to a local tire shop where I do all of my tire business and they discovered it was leaking around the seal.

The technician had a very hard time breaking the seal on the rim, and in the process of removing the tire from the rim to re-bead it, his pry bar slipped and easily slit right through the wall of the tire. He said the rubber seemed to be really weak and thin. Note that the car had a sticker on it saying the tires had been filled with nitrogen.

The shop is replacing the tire for me free of charge, of course, but I had to leave my car in their garage overnight until the new tire arrives tomorrow. :(

Has anyone else experienced anything like this regarding the "quality" of the tire?

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I'veread folks complaining about traction/noise but this is the 1st I've read this....I kinda wonder if the guy just messed up. He is making good so max respect for that.

side note and I see you are already carefull cold weather and summer only tires are a poor combo north of the Mason Dixon line....get some take-offs or something if you plan on driving it. Even being carefull if a deer/child darts in front of you :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, unfortunately my new Mustang will sit in the garage most of the winter...unless we get an unseasonably warm sunny day with no snow or muddy slop on the roads. I have yet to be able to drive it like it's meant to be driven!

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
#1st world problem.

mine got put away this week for a few months....I ain't walking to work I also have a truck. That 1st ride IS a joy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"every one of you was going 50"

"even the ones who scattered like Rats in a Flood"
Some of you will get this.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
My 2012 came with the Pirelli crap tires and they make a lot of noise, They are really crap in the rain and do have good traction when it is dry and hot out.
If I can ever get these crap tires to wear out, I'm getting anything but Pirelli's.
Ronnie

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2014 GT has the same tires. I parked it for the season about a month ago. The tires are still in great shape but I'm looking to replace them with BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S. The weather here swings from frigid cold to blistering heat and I want something that works in a wide range of climatic conditions without breaking the bank. I'm is SoIL but it gets plenty cold here...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pirelli tires

I have the Pirelli P Zero Nero tires that were new replacements on my Mustang V6 when I bought it. They are all-season tires but have little traction in even an inch of snow. I may purchase the newer version Pirelli Zero All Season Plus. Comments on Tire Rack make it to be a better tire. Besides, the roads here in the winter are heavily salted so she stays in the garage anyway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny story...so I got a brand new tire installed for free after the mechanic's mistake. Yesterday my son and I took the car out for a drive during the warm day. When we pulled back into the garage we could hear hissing from a tire...actually THE NEW tire. I felt around and sure enough we had picked up a huge nail. I had it repaired today, but kinda makes me wonder about that corner of the car!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 10,700 miles on my Stock Pirelli P Zero's, and they are down to 3/8 tread. They've been rotated twice now with oil changes, and ready to be replaced. The Ford Dealer asked me at 8800 miles if I was doing a lot of burnouts! I told her not one. I have the Pirelli Dragons on my Harley, and the Pirelli Scorpions on my Mercedes SUV, and they are both wearing great. Not sure why the P Zero's are so soft, but i'll def. be going to another tire very soon. Too much wear way too soon.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I have the Pirelli P Zero Nero tires that were new replacements on my Mustang V6 when I bought it. They are all-season tires but have little traction in even an inch of snow. I may purchase the newer version Pirelli Zero All Season Plus. Comments on Tire Rack make it to be a better tire. Besides, the roads here in the winter are heavily salted so she stays in the garage anyway.
Do you think it was just because of the Snow, that Traction was Bad? Besides that, what was your other opinion of the Nero Tires?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Currently running P Zero summer, im in Bay Area so no snow, but holy molly they runs like bald tires in recent rainstorms.
Plus a crapload of noise for sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
14 Posts
I replaced my p zeros on my 15 gt. They were junk. Worst tire i have ever had in the rain. The new firestone indy 500 I put on seem to be much better so far.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Pirelli is a cheap tire;
don't buy them;
my Stang had them when i got it, & my brother replaced them.
all-weather/all-season ARE NOT FOR WINTER!! NEVER NEVER EVER!!
Use winter tires in winter!!

Autocorrect is Recon's worst enema.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

IF you are driving in snow/ice, GET WINTER tires.
All-season/all-weather DOES NOT & SHOULD NOT be used for winter driving. Period.

Autocorrect is Recon's worst enema.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree the OEM tires on my GT PP are trash. I'm in GA so I can make due with summer tires all year (not a DD less than 15k miles) I get the "you must do a TON of burnouts cause your back rubber is bald!" So I'm shopping for replacements and a buddy of mine bought a 2016 charger hellcat. It's got 20" but mine are 19" and he SWEARS by the cooper zeon RS3-S. his charger came with the same crap p zero tires we get and he pulled em off same day (after a very impressive burn out" and put on the zeon's. I can't find an exact match for my rear tire. How much of a difference would it be to put a 285/35/19 in back and not the stock 275/40/19. I can get the same up front 255/40/19. I'm not good with tires and no shops give me a straight answer. Hope this isn't hijacking OP. But we can all agree the OEM leave MUCH to be desired.

Yes it's fast, no you can't drive it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you think it was just because of the Snow, that Traction was Bad? Besides that, what was your other opinion of the Nero Tires?
Just for laughs I took the car out in an inch of snow. Couldn't get in my driveway (about a 15 degree rise on the first 20 ft) on the first or second try. Third try I backed partly into the neighbors across the street and gave it a bit more gas. She wiggled but she made it. Have to say I'm old enough that rear wheel drive on snow was for a long time the only way.
Other than that I don't mind them. Other people say they are loud but this is my first set so I have nothing to compare. They have good grip in dry weather, and sometimes I push it to my limit, which why I didn't buy the V8 :whistling:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

Haha you need 4x4
last spring, i was going to move mine over on the driveway, & with the little bit of ice, it wouldn't go anywhere.
My dad lets me drive his truck in winter.
i went to 7-11, & couldn't even get up the ramp. i had to turn the 4x4 on just to get up that tiny bit!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts