Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just replaced my stock spark it's with e3 spark plugs today. Simple process. Only issue I had was a little spark when one of the wrenches hit a part of the battery terminal but that should do no harm. Well after putting everything back in its place. I start the car and the service advancetrac . The stability control and advancetrac is off and turning the steering wheel sucks

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I even checked the fuse that controls the electronic stability on the passenger side and it's in tact...any ideas of what it could be

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The advancetrac button isn't even working for me to switch it

Just put the old plugs back in (which I doubted was the problem but I wanted to give it a shot) of course that didn't work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So I just replaced my stock spark it's with e3 spark plugs today. Simple process. Only issue I had was a little spark when one of the wrenches hit a part of the battery terminal but that should do no harm. Well after putting everything back in its place. I start the car and the service advancetrac . The stability control and advancetrac is off and turning the steering wheel sucks
If when you say "turning the steering wheel sucks", means it's Very Difficult to turn; I'd check for a fuse for the Electric Power Steering. If it's just a suttle change, then it would be in the menu from the Steering Wheel. Sorry, I don't have my Manual right here to offer specifics.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did that twice and I found that thread earlier today. I think it's just a terribly bad day. I washed my car, it rained twice, ichange my plugs, steering goes out, I go to check that, one of the HiD lights go out. I'm through with today. Guess it's to the dealership I go. And my warranty expired last month.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did that twice and I found that thread earlier today. I think it's just a terribly bad day. I washed my car, it rained twice, ichange my plugs, steering goes out, I go to check that, one of the HiD lights go out. I'm through with today. Guess it's to the dealership I go. And my warranty expired last month.
Good Luck when you take it in, maybe you'll be having a better day and your Dealer's Service Dept will have some pity on you about the warranty. Just Don't Hold Your Breath. Maybe your Salesman could Help you about that--never hurts to try.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Sounds like you blew the main fuse that comes off the battery. That part will have to be replaced. You're supposed to disconnect the battery when changing plugs.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Sounds like you blew the main fuse that comes off the battery. That part will have to be replaced. You're supposed to disconnect the battery when changing plugs.
^+1 This.
Last time I check e3 didn't make plugs specific for the 11-14 GT's yet.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Oreilys gave me some E3's that worked fine when I put them in. They tightened fine and I didn't have any engine running issues when I installed them . The old plugs are in them now and the car is at the dealership. I know a guy at the GMC dealership next door owned by the same guy and I hope helps me out with the warranty out for only a month. I definitely didn't know u should disconnect the battery when changing plugs.....note taken.. U guys think it was the plugs?

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I think it was the spark and as mentioned a fuse...it's already at the shop now, but next time (if you didn't) check all fuses.

·
Registered
34 Posts
WOW I've never heard that before, and I've changed a lot of Spark Plugs in my day. I know these new engines are Hi-Tech, so are you supposed to Disconnect the Battery for just about anything you do under the hood? I know that was also in the Instructions when I put an AirAid Throttle Body Spacer on my 5.0, and I thought that was odd. Is it an Engine Computer thing, or what?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
WOW I've never heard that before, and I've changed a lot of Spark Plugs in my day. I know these new engines are Hi-Tech, so are you supposed to Disconnect the Battery for just about anything you do under the hood? I know that was also in the Instructions when I put an AirAid Throttle Body Spacer on my 5.0, and I thought that was odd. Is it an Engine Computer thing, or what?
Anything you do electronically I would assume. Don't wanna cross + with - by a slip of a wrench like you did. Engine work wise also cuz you don't want to slip your wrench and cross it either. So... I guess that's every time Just to be safe

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anything you do electronically I would assume. Don't wanna cross + with - by a slip of a wrench like you did. Engine work wise also cuz you don't want to slip your wrench and cross it either. So... I guess that's every time Just to be safe
Actually, this wasn't my Post, I was just commenting.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm just praying it isn't something outrageously stupid. If it's just a fuse I'm perfectly fine with that, although I did check all the fuses under the hood and a few that were on the passenger kick plate. I'm dreading it's something more serious than that though.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Oreilys gave me some E3's that worked fine when I put them in. They tightened fine and I didn't have any engine running issues when I installed them . The old plugs are in them now and the car is at the dealership. I know a guy at the GMC dealership next door owned by the same guy and I hope helps me out with the warranty out for only a month. I definitely didn't know u should disconnect the battery when changing plugs.....note taken.. U guys think it was the plugs?
How many miles do you have on the car where you felt the need to change plugs? It's not the plugs though. See below.
The reason you want to disconnect the battery when changing plugs is because the positive battery cable has a main fuse that is easily shorted out when you change plugs. Something the original poster found out the hard way.
I'm just praying it isn't something outrageously stupid. If it's just a fuse I'm perfectly fine with that, although I did check all the fuses under the hood and a few that were on the passenger kick plate. I'm dreading it's something more serious than that though.
It's not a fuse under the hood but rather a main fuse attached to the positive batter cable. That's what you shorted out causing all your problems. It's like a $50.00 part.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts