Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
How many miles do you have on the car where you felt the need to change plugs? It's not the plugs though. See below.

The reason you want to disconnect the battery when changing plugs is because the positive battery cable has a main fuse that is easily shorted out when you change plugs. Something the original poster found out the hard way.

It's not a fuse under the hood but rather a main fuse attached to the positive batter cable. That's what you shorted out causing all your problems. It's like a $50.00 part.
Great information to know, I don't recall seeing anything about that in the Owner's Manual. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
That's what you get for installing pos plugs...

Glad it's fixed though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Why do people talk so well about e3's then? I need to know because I definitely don't wanna put pos anything in or on my car.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
You never answered my question on how many miles on your car where you felt the need to change plugs?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
24,000 miles on her. I just changed them because I hear u should change them sooner depending on how long you've gone on them with a tune. I've been on them tuned for about.12.000 miles.. If this is too early, when should I change em ?

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Mustangreazon50 said:
24,000 miles on her. I just changed them because I hear u should change them sooner depending on how long you've gone on them with a tune. I've been on them tuned for about.12.000 miles.. If this is too early, when should I change em ?
On a normal/light modded car 75,000 miles is about right. I think Ford recommends 100k.

---------- Post added at 06:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Black5.0 said:
Great addition to the thread, especially since it didn't have anything to do with the plugs themselves!
You're welcome.

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Mustangreazon50 said:
Why do people talk so well about e3's then? I need to know because I definitely don't wanna put pos anything in or on my car.
A spark plug only has one spark. Having multiple points only makes a plug more expensive. Unless you are nitrous or forced induction motorcraft/autolite will do you just fine.

As far as the hype, if they were paying me several thousand $'s a year i'd hype them too.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
There was definitely no need to change them.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Next time actually inspect the plugs and see if they need changing.....many guides and photos on line.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It's funny of all the family, friends, and others I know that have "mechanic advice" for the situation , the most useful always comes from this forum:)

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Yeah....that's b/c, internet posturing aside, some of us actually do or have done the things we talk about.....

·
Registered
294 Posts
when disconnecting the battery ALWAYS disconnect the negitive first !! then if you accidentally touch your wrench while on the positive terminal to the body it won't arc and cause these problems because your whole car is no longer grounded, when reconnecting a battery always hook up the negitive LAST that way your car is not grounded while attaching the positive..

just in case anyone cares :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So now that ford has fixed the steering column and the battery fuse the car drives fine. But now the service advancetrac message keep popping on and off. Took it there a second time, and they say they replaced the restraint control module. A week later of course the light pops up again. Now I'm concerned the problem will never be fixed..... It is still under warranty, but should I be worried the car is always gonna do this now?

·
Registered
187 Posts
So now that ford has fixed the steering column and the battery fuse the car drives fine. But now the service advancetrac message keep popping on and off. Took it there a second time, and they say they replaced the restraint control module. A week later of course the light pops up again. Now I'm concerned the problem will never be fixed..... It is still under warranty, but should I be worried the car is always gonna do this now?
Say its a lemon and get a new car lol. That would work if you bought the car in the last few months. Take it back a third time and tell the dealership to either fix it or give you a different car off the lot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem. Changed plugs and lost power steering and advanced trac. Blew the fuse on the positive battery post. Ordered a new fuse block. Good as new.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts