Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, new to the forums here as well as the new owner of an 03 Mach 1. We just bought this car Thursday of last week and its already in the shop. Let me give you the low down. We drove 4 hours each way to get this car which isnt how I usually buy a used car. I usually let my mechanic look at anything we are interested in buying and he either gives it a thumbs up or down. But this came up and we rolled the dice. This is for my son who just turned 17. Its and 03 with 138k miles. Has a few upgrades, K&N CAI, Raceland coilovers, H-Pipe with Magnaflows, Steeda clutch quadrant and short throw shifter and a new Mcleod twin disc clutch and a new tranny both with fewer than 500 miles on them. So upon first inspection the car was in great shape psychically. Couple of rock chips here and there but overall paint is in great shape. Interior is good with no rips or tears in seats. Door cups are raggedy and about to fall out but thats a cheap fix. So we go for the test drive and right off the bat the clutch is a freaking beast to push. Im like standing on the pedal. Very hard to get in gear. We get back and the guy is laughing because I rolled into the street in neutral and he saw me struggling. So he takes us for a ride and has no issue shifting. So I chalk it up and hes used to it and Im not. So we buy it and head. By the time we are almost home the shifting seems smoother and clutch pedal feel softer. So Im ok it just needed some miles to get broke in and all and now it will be fine.

So now I get to teach my son how to drive a stick. We head a couple times and had no issues. Then Sunday afternoon we head back out and as soon as I let him drive he has issues getting in gear. Im like son just push the pedal harder...you're not there yet. I am dad! So I get in to drive and sure enough, it wont go in gear at all. It would go in reveres but would grind like crazy. With the car off, the shifter works fine and you can get in all gears. As soon as you crank it up its like hitting a wall. No gear will engage. Had it towed and being looked at now.

Pretty safe to say we probably got screwed and Im fixing to get bent over a barrel with major repairs? Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
A stiff clutch pedal can be a indicator of a failing clutch cable. Even a fairly new one can fail.
It's possible that it has broken and stretched out, not allowing the clutch to fully disengage.
If that turns out to be the case, I recommend replacing it with a OEM cable from your local Ford dealership, as many of the aftermarket cables are inferior to the factory parts.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Super Moderator
17,950 Posts
Clutch fork could have fallen off the pivot ball, clutch cable could be messed up, clutch could have been installed improperly... If its not a simple cable swap they'll have to pull the trans.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,190 Posts
If it still has the stock clutch cable setup, the plastic clutch quadrant could be cracked and not giving you full clutch release. The cable could also be ready to give. With that many miles, seems like the clutch would have to have been replaced by then, and I've never seen anyone try to reuse the stock setup. I thought I'd mention it, because I've known a few newedge mustangs that still have the stock clutch with over 130k miles.

As for aftermarket cable setups, make sure the cable lines up through the firewall and on the quadrant. I used washers from Lowe's to get mine lined up and to keep it in place as the clutch is used. Also, if the cable is new, it may need a bit of an adjustment now that it's been driven. Congrats to you and your son!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a new clutch...or so he said. It also has new steeda adjustable quadrant. It's been at the shop since last Monday and still no word on what the issue is. Kinda starting to piss me off at this point. I mean if you don't have time to work on it just tell me and I'll tow it somewhere else or hell I'll just bring it home and my son will learn how to do it ourselves. Ugh... honestly I about ready to just order a new clutch and me and him do it. If he's gonna have hot rod he might as well learn to work on it lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the car back saturday, put in new clutch and TOB and now she drives smooth as butter. He said TOB was trashed. Finally back on the road and now we have to get this boy of mine driving a stick lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts