Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Products needed. Paint, preferably auto paint, any colors you want, Clear Auto lacquer
X-acto knife with SHARP blades
Auto masking tape

1. Take off the Strut tower brace if you have one
2. Pull the cover off.... it pops right off
3. Wash it with warm soapy water and rinse
4. Let it DRY completely
5. Start masking of ALL of the chrome pieces and carefully cut out around them, this includes the 5.0
6. Mask off the 32V TiVCT and cut out the inserts (CHANGE your knife blades frequently or you will catch hell cutting out the small pieces)
7. Mask off all that you dont want to paint the highlight colors (red on mine)
8. TAKE YOUR TIME a rush job will look like ASS!!!
9. Apply 3-4 coats of your highlight paint... LET IT DRY COMPLETELY and pull the tape off of the plastic areas... LEAVE IT ON ALL THE CHROME PIECES... yes this means the 5.0 as well
10. Reverse mask all of the highlight areas (make sure the paint is dry or you will pull the paint off)
11. Apply 3-4 coats of your base color (Black on mine) and let it dry mostly between coats.
12. LET IT DRY COMPLETELY
13. Pull off the masking material but LEAVE IT ON THE CHROME PIECES this includes the 5.0 as well.
14. Apply 3-4 coats of CLEAR and assist dry with a heat gun (helps it retain the shininess) Keep the heat gun at least 1.5 - 2 feet away so you don't either bubble the paint or melt the plastic... IMPORTANT!!!
15. Pull all the masking material from the chrome pieces and VIOLA re attach to the car and roll like a champ!!!

It might be wise to primer the whole thing first, but when I did the valve covers the first time it worked just fine with out it. Personal choice. Sanding is NOT necessary before painting. The plastic is not smooth and paint adheres just fine.

Post up pics when you do yours... Remember TAKE YOUR TIME!!! I spend 5 hours doing mine today

·
Registered
903 Posts
You use a engine paint or high temp paint on the valve covers??

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The valve covers are plastic and do not require High temp paint. I have run my car at 120 mph + for an hour straight and the valve covers were only warm to the touch. I used normal car paint, the same stuff they paint the outside of the car with. Trust me... it works just fine. But it is a personal decision, that engine and high temp stuff is CRAZY expensive... at least here in Germany.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The valve covers are plastic and do not require High temp paint. I have run my car at 120 mph + for an hour straight and the valve covers were only warm to the touch. I used normal car paint, the same stuff they paint the outside of the car with. Trust me... it works just fine. But it is a personal decision, that engine and high temp stuff is CRAZY expensive... at least here in Germany.
Thats great.....Just curious how it was holding up in the engine bay with all the heat.I plan on doing some work and would like to use normal paint and clear but thought it wouldn't hold up to the tempts.Let me/us know if it gives any trouble.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks great man. Thanks for the write up! I will be attempting this because I don't think I'll be making many more mods to my 5.0. Next will be a S/C or buying a 2015 GT500 lol.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all... I would like to get started on my Strut brace.... if I could only remember what I did with my razors and x-acto knife.... Hope I find them before one of the kids. I am getting forgetful in my old age. lol

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
Oh man, when I lose tools I always check my 4 year old daughters room. She try's to jack my tools when ever she gets a chance. lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts