Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Dropping in to do the intro thing...
Just bought a '96 3.8L V6. She needs a lot of work (mostly body, so far) but I couldn't be more excited to jump right in. I don't know much of mechanics but I'm a pretty handy girl so I think with a little help we'll do just fine. I've been a Mustang fan since high school, I'm so happy to finally own one. I live in Ohio, winter is finally breaking so I'm hoping to get out more and find some cool places to shop and see other cars as well. I have a few car photos on my profile, would love to hear some advice on where to start first with fixin her up.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Welcome from south Florida. You fix her like you want and make her your car not someone else's ;) take a lot of pictures and share em. And again welcome to ME

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Welcome!!! Post us some pics of your pony!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
She Looks good for 17. Welcome to ME.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
She looks great! I had a 97 cobra, same color. Just do it a little at a time. Some very knowledgeable people on here who will help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just can't decide where to start first. I really wanna do her body first so it doesn't get worse, but I have a lot other things I wanna do too. Definitely want new muffler/exhaust. Would really love to change it to a 5-spd too!

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 PM ----------

She has snow tires on still! Lol

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Is it just surface rust or is it rotted through? First, know when you start the body, with all the things you mentioned, you are probably looking at getting the whole car painted. If that is not in the budget, start with what is. If you plan on doing a lot yourself, start simple.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's pretty much what I was trying to decide. Save up and and get it all done in a couple days at a Maaco type place or just me and the hubby work on it piece by piece. He's a self-taught guy but he's done a lot of good work on his Neon (eeeew!) so we thought we might give it a shot ourselves. But I'm not feeling very patient since I've gotten this car, I don't know if I wanna take it that slow. I don't believe the rust is "rotting" thru. Its mainly around the wheels. The clear coat is yucky all over, big blisters and bubbles. Tomorrow will be my first day I can really spend some Q-T with my car since I've gotten it so I'll post some more detailed pics then.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Hey all! Dropping in to do the intro thing...
Just bought a '96 3.8L V6. She needs a lot of work (mostly body, so far) but I couldn't be more excited to jump right in. I don't know much of mechanics but I'm a pretty handy girl so I think with a little help we'll do just fine. I've been a Mustang fan since high school, I'm so happy to finally own one. I live in Ohio, winter is finally breaking so I'm hoping to get out more and find some cool places to shop and see other cars as well. I have a few car photos on my profile, would love to hear some advice on where to start first with fixin her up.
Welcome! Where in Ohio?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts