Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys next weekend I am going to be getting my wheels powder coated! I am taking them to a dealership first in order to get the tires taken off, then ill take them to the shop to get them coated then back to the dealership to get the tires put back on.
Now my problem is I just remembered about the psi sensors we have in our tires. Is there any special precautions I need to take for these or what's the drill? I've never messed with these sensors so I'm clueless lol, any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some wheels use sensors that are made as a part of the valve stem. If removed from the wheel, the entire sensor/valve stem will have to be replaced with new ones. Ford also uses a sensor that is mounted to a band that circles the inside of the wheel. Those can be removed and replaced with no problems. I have two Mustangs, a 2005 V6 Convertible and a 2006 GT, and both have the valve stem sensors. However a friend has a 2006 with optional Ford wheels and they have the band style sensors. Either way, if you damage one, its going to run $100 to $ 200 each for replacement.
My daily driver, a Focus, has the bands. About a year ago the low tire warning light came on but the in dash info center said it was a sensor error. I took it to the dealer and it was determined that one sensor had failed and two were weak. They wanted almost $800 to replace the sensors. I ended up going to a Firestone tire dealer and had them replaced for $420. Which ever ones you have be careful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts